From a slew of executive appointments to a shake-up in its spine business, here are Zimmer Biomet's 10 key moves in the first half of 2021:
1. Zimmer Biomet named Ellison Humphrey chief transformation officer.
2. Zimmer Biomet announced plans to spin off its spine and dental units on Feb. 5. Read more details about the spinoff, called NewCo, here.
3. Vafa Jamali was appointed CEO of NewCo. Read more about him here.
4. Zimmer Biomet President and CEO Bryan Hanson will replace non-executive chair of the board Larry Glasscock, who retired in May. Three more updates to the company's board were announced Feb. 22.
5. Zimmer Biomet named Ivan Tornos, its group president of global businesses and the Americas, as COO.
6. Lori Winkler was named chief human resources officer, and Sang Yi was promoted to group president of the Asia Pacific region.
7. The FDA provided clearance for Zimmer Biomet's Rosa partial knee system for robotic-assisted partial knee replacements.
8. Zimmer Biomet posted $1.8 billion in net sales and $246 million in spine and dental sales in the first quarter. Mr. Hanson said in an earnings call that the first procedure with the Rosa partial knee system was completed.
9. Rosa Knee has won Orthopedic Product Innovation of the Year at the 2021 Healthcare Asia Medtech Awards.
10. Zimmer Biomet named two executive leaders. Wilfred van Zuilen will be president of the company's Europe, Middle East and Africa markets. Nitin Goyal, MD, will serve in a newly created role: chief science, technology and innovation officer.