Hospitals are getting serious about orthopedics


Through acquisitions and new facilities, many hospitals and health systems are looking to strengthen their orthopedic reach. 

Two health systems have recently made headlines regarding their interest in orthopedic acquisitions. 

In January, Cincinnati-based Mercy Health finalized its planned acquisition of Paducah-based Orthopedic Institute of Western Kentucky. The institute will be renamed "Mercy Health — Paducah Orthopedic Center."

Also in January, Gunnison (Colo.) Valley Health began talks to acquire ownership of some of Vail-Summit Orthopaedics and Neurosurgery's locations. The acquisition would also include a 70% stake in the Vail, Colo.-based practice's ASC, and the remaining 30% would stay with orthopedic surgeon and co-owner Gloria Beim, MD.

Some hospitals are opening their own orthopedic clinics, such as Benton, Ark.-based Saline Clinics, which opened a new facility specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine. Boise, Idaho-based St. Luke's recently cut the ribbon on its new Orthopedics & Sports Medicine facility.

Partnerships are also the name of the game when it comes to hospitals and health systems expanding their orthopedic reach. Mishawaka, Ind.-based Franciscan Health and Indianapolis-based OrthoIndy are partnering to open an orthopedic clinic and surgery center.

Several systems and hospitals, including Marengo, Iowa-based Compass Memorial Healthcare; HCA Florida Healthcare, the Nashville, Tenn.-based system's Florida branch; and Perry, Iowa-based Dallas County Hospital, are all expanding their orthopedic teams by adding more surgeons. 

Copyright © 2024 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Webinars

Featured Whitepapers