March 8 is International Women's Day, celebrating women's rights, equality and advancement. Here are 10 female orthopedic and spine surgeons to know:
1. Vonda Wright, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine at the Hughston Clinic in Lake Nona, Fla. She focuses on minimally invasive procedures and serves as team physician for several Georgia athletic teams.
2. Emily Nguyen, MD, is a spine surgeon at Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center of Oregon in Portland. She specializes in spinal disorders, minimally invasive spine surgery and spinal trauma.
3. Maureen Finnegan, MD, is a pediatric orthopedist in Dallas. She is affiliated with Parkland Health-Dallas and Children's Medical Center Dallas. She has been in practice for over 20 years.
4. Margaret Nichols, MD, is a spine surgeon who specializes in neurosurgery at Freeman NeuroSpine in Joplin, Mo.
5. Norah Foster, MD, is a spine surgeon at Premier Orthopedics at Miami Valley Hospital South Campus in Centerville, Ohio. She is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and a member of several leading organizations, including the North American Spine Society.
6. Amelia Wiggins, DO, is an orthopedic surgeon and knee, shoulder and joint replacement specialist at OrthoCincy in Anderson, Ohio.
7. Monica Kogan, MD, is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush in Chicago. She is also an assistant professor and the director of pediatric orthopedics for Rush.
8. Leslie Vidal, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon at Vail, Colo.-based Steadman Clinic. She specializes in shoulder, hip and knee replacements and sports medicine.
9. Claire Shannon, MD, is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at West Palm Beach, Fla.-based Paley Orthopedic and Spine Institute. She has been with the institute since 2019 and specializes in limb lengthening and deformity correction.
10. Meagan McCarthy, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon at Reno (Nev.) Orthopedic Center. She specializes in sports medicine and knee and shoulder arthroscopy.