Orthopedic surgeons earned $557,000 on average during 2022, with compensation fluctuating based on practice setting and length of employment.
Nine key orthopedic surgeon compensation stats in 2022:
1. Orthopedics is among the top five wealthiest physician specialties.
2. Twenty-five percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a net worth of over $5 million.
3. The average salary for orthopedic surgeons is $557,000.
4. The average starting salary for orthopedic surgeons is $565,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons saw a 9 percent rise in compensation between 2021 and 2022.
6. Employed orthopedists earn more than self-employed orthopedists, at $579,000 and $537,000 respectively.
7. Orthopedic surgeons' incentive bonus reached $126,000.
8. Savannah, Ga., was the highest paying city for early-career orthopedic surgeons, at $582,878 a year.
9. Orthopedic surgeons working on the East Coast earned $8,973 per year more than their West Coast counterparts on average.