About 2,500 physicians under 40 years old were surveyed between Oct. 6, 2020, and Feb. 11, 2021. Medscape defined young physicians as under 40 and older physicians as 40 to 69.
Five stats for orthopedists:
1. Forty-seven percent of young orthopedic physicians were satisfied with their compensation.
2. Forty-eight percent of young orthopedists have student debt.
3. Eighty percent of young orthopedic physicians would choose to pursue medicine again, and 92 percent would choose the orthopedic specialty again.
4. Thirty-six percent of young physicians overall spend between 10 to 19 hours per week on paperwork and administration. Another 36 percent said they work 20 hours or more on those tasks each week.
5. Eighty-two percent of physicians under 40 are employed by a hospital or health system, and 14 percent are self-employed.