Here are 11 private equity transactions involving orthopedic practices and device companies this year:
1. Vail, Colo.-based The Steadman Clinic partnered with Orthopedic Care Partners, which is the holding company for The Orthopaedic Institute and four other practices. Private equity firm Varsity Healthcare Partners backs OCP.
2. Aspen Surgical Products acquired orthopedic product provider Beaty Marketing & Sales to expand its surgical portfolio. Owned by Audax Private Equity, ASP provides surgical and patient safety disposable products to hospitals and ASCs.
3. CrossRoads Extremity Systems, backed by private equity company Healthpoint Capital, acquired four orthopedic implant product lines from Surgical Frontiers.
4. New York-based private -equity firm Kohlberg & Company invested in Greenwich, Conn.-based Orthopaedic Neurosurgery Specialists, a three-location multispecialty group.
5. Cincinnati-based Beacon Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine launched a national management services organization in partnership with private -equity firm Revelstoke Capital Partners.
6. Cora Physical Therapy, a portfolio company of private-equity firm Gryphon Investors, acquired Rockford, Ill.-based Orthopedic and Sports Therapy Institute, expanding its portfolio by six practices.
7. New York-based private-equity firm Kohlberg & Company invested in Greenwich, Conn.-based Orthopaedic Neurosurgery Specialists, a three-location multispecialty group.
8. Linden Capital Partners acquired Collagen Matrix. The company's collagen products can be used in several specialties including the device sectors of neurosurgery, orthopedics, spine and sports medicine.
9. LCP also acquired of Avalign Technologies, a Bannockburn, Ill.-based provider of implants, specialty surgical instruments, cutting tools and cases and trays for orthopedics and acute care.
10. Private equity-backed medical manufacturer Medin Technologies acquired orthopedic implant company Advantage Manufacturing Technologies. Medin acquired the company through its wholly owned subsidiary, AMT Medical.
11. European private equity firm Nordic Capital acquired majority holding in Orchid Orthopedic Solutions from Altor Fund III for an undisclosed sum.