Orthopedic surgeons largely remain independent, according to Medscape's Orthopedist Compensation Report 2019.
Here is the breakdown of orthopedist practice setting:
1. Office-based single-specialty group: 39 percent
2. Office-based multispecialty group: 16 percent
3. Hospital: 14 percent
4. Healthcare organization: 11 percent
5. Office-based solo practice: 11 percent
6. Academic (nonhospital), research, military, government: 7 percent
Orthopedists that own a solo practice or group practice said 49 percent to 50 percent of revenue goes to overhead. Self-employed orthopedists earn around $505,000, while employed surgeons report $459,000 average salary.