Michael Rieber, MD, of Livingston, N.J.-based Orthopedics Unlimited began offering the iovera treatment to improve patients' total knee arthroplasty recovery, according to Tap into Livingston.
Here are five things to know:
1. Iovera treatment blocks pain as part of the TKA standard of care.
2. The treatment eliminates the need for drugs or other systemic therapies.
3. The procedure is performed prior to TKA and reduces pain in the weeks following the operation.
4. A process similar to cryotherapy is relied upon for the iovera treatment to work.
5. Patients treated with iovera exhibited the following results when compared to those who weren't:
- Requested less opioids
- Experienced less stiffness at six and 12 weeks post-surgery
- Experienced less knee pain at six and 12 weeks post-surgery
Dr. Rieber said, "The iovera treatment has really paved the way for an incredibly smooth recovery process for our patients."
More articles on orthopedics:
Weight loss' impact on knee joint deterioration — 4 details