Orthopedic procedures see up to 43% direct cost savings in ASC setting: 3 study insights

Orthopedic

A study in Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons investigated what cost savings are associated with performing pediatric orthopedic surgery at an ambulatory surgery center, compared with a university-based children's hospital.

The researchers identified 1,021 patients who underwent one of eight surgical procedures at either a hospital-owned ASC or a university-based children's hospital. They compared direct costs while controlling for surgeon, concomitant procedures, age, sex and body mass index.

 

Here's what you need to know:

 

1. The direct cost savings at the ASC ranged from 17 percent to 43 percent for seven of the identified procedures.

 

2. The majority of the cost savings were attributed to time (80 percent); the rest were attributed to supply utilization (20 percent).

 

3. The majority of the time savings in the operating room were attributed to surgical factors (73 percent), though anesthesia factors (27 percent) were also relevant.

 

Copyright © 2023 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Webinars

Featured Podcast

Featured Whitepapers