Mark S. Myerson, MD, is using 3D printing technology to perform a unique talus replacement procedure.
Here are five highlights:
1. The procedure involves creating a 3D model of the talus using the CAT scan taken of a healthy ankle.
2. Patients who receive the 3D-printed talus replacement may regain up to 75 percent of normal ankle function.
3. Dr. Myerson is the medical director of The Institute for Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore.
4. Dr. Myerson earned his medical degree from the University of Cape Town in South Africa and completed residencies at Sinai Hospital in New York, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and the University of Maryland, also in Baltimore. He completed his fellowship at NYU's Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York City.
5. Mercy Medical Center is 142-year-old, university-affiliated medical facility.