University of Rochester (N.Y.) Medical Center is planning a $277 million orthopedic center in a former Sears retail space, HCO News reported March 22.
1. The 350,000 square-foot facility in Henrietta, N.Y., will include 210,000 square feet of renovated space. Another 140,000 square feet will be used for an outpatient clinic.
2. The orthopedic center will have 140 exam rooms.
3. The renovated portion of the project will include three operating rooms, a three-room procedure suite, imaging services and physical therapy.
4. The project is expected to be completed by 2023. Orthopedic administrative offices were relocated to a nearby lease space in 2021, and conversion of the Sears into an outpatient center is expected to be completed in 2022.
5. Paul Rubery, chair of the medical center's orthopedics department, told The Wall Street Journal converting the space would be cheaper and quicker than building a facility. He also said the Sears' column spacing made it fit for an ASC.