Here are five orthopedic and spine groups and surgical hospitals that have closed in the past 12 months.
1. Las Cruces (N.M.) Orthopaedic Associates shut its doors permanently May 11, citing "unforeseen circumstances."
2. Edmund Landry, MD, plans to close his practice in Kennett, Mo., after more than 20 years, according to the Delta Dunklin Democrat.
3. Pinnacle Regional Hospital in Overland Park, Kan., which specializes in spinal fusion procedures, closed its doors and terminated all employees in April. The hospital had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February, but after the pandemic hit the hospital closed for good.
4. Nobilis Health shut down three surgical facilities in September 2019. The closed hospitals include Kirby Surgical Center in Houston, Plano (Texas) Surgical Hospital and Uptown Surgery Center of Plano Surgical Hospital in Dallas. The facilities focused on orthopedics and neurosurgery, and some included other specialties as well.
5. Advanced Spine and Pain closed in August 2019 after the government made fraud allegations against the clinic's owner.