McLaren Medical Group will furlough several of its nearly 500 providers, including orthopedic surgeons, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Six things to know:
1. The group, as part of Grand Blanc, Mich.-based McLaren Health Care, employs more than 300 physicians.
2. MMG has seen a 60 percent drop in patient volumes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Almost all of the group's providers will continue working, but many will have decreased hours, according to Julie Lepzinski, president and CEO of MMG.
4. MMG is evaluating each provider's patient volume to calculate the length of furloughs, according to the Detroit Free Press, with those with fewer patients expected to be laid off longer.
5. Office hours are being adjusted to account for the reduced volume, while maintaining access to essential care.
6. The group is expanding telehealth services for patients in need of "more routine care," according to Ms. Lepzinski.