Amherst, N.Y.-based Excelsior Orthopaedics acquired a nine-physician orthopedic group, adding four locations to its expanding network, according to a Buffalo Business First report.
Five things to know:
1. Excelsior Orthopaedics merged with East Amherst, N.Y.-based Northtowns Orthopedics, a nine-surgeon practice, and another orthopedic surgeon left Buffalo (N.Y.) Orthopaedic Group to join Excelsior as well. In total, Excelsior now has 90 medical providers and 350 total staff members.
2. All 10 physicians joining Excelsior will be vested partners and continue to work in the private practice setting, which was important for the surgeons.
3. The surgeons joining Excelsior will have access to its ancillary imaging and therapy service lines, which Northtowns didn't offer in its own. The merger will also breed practice efficiencies.
4. Excelsior expects to complete the merger by the end of the year.
5. Prior to the merger, Excelsior reported 200,000 annual patient visits, including 15,000 surgical cases. The company has an ASC, Buffalo Surgery Center, and includes occupational therapists and athletic trainers as part of the team.