How Hospital for Special Surgery plans to expand nationally & globally

Practice Management

New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery is the oldest orthopedic-focused hospital in the U.S., and in recent years, it has seen dramatic growth, according to The Wall Street Journal.

As the U.S. population ages and health and fitness become more important to all populations, the hospital is looking at various was to expand. While many hospitals focus on mergers and acquisitions, Hospital for Special Surgery's expansion plan centers around multiplying.

This year, the hospital will open two locations in New York City, including a sports medicine building and an outpatient facility. Additionally, Hospital for Special Surgery is developing outposts and collaboration initiatives in New York City, West Palm Beach, Fla., and Aspen, Colo.

The reason for expansion? CEO Louis Shapiro attributes it to reaching community members closer to their homes. "Our strategy for growth stems from our ability to develop the HSS model and extend our reach and impact. There's more demand because people are more active," he told The Wall Street Journal.

Hospital for Special Surgery's new Florida facility is designed to attract patients from South America and patients in the Southern U.S. On the flip side, Hospital for Special Surgery partnered with Aspen Valley Hospital to co-manage an orthopedic practice.

Many patients who travel nationally and internationally to receive care at the hospital visit the New York City location. Mr. Shapiro estimates 6 percent of the patients at the New York City location are from the area while the other 94 percent drive or fly to the hospital.

Copyright © 2023 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Webinars

Featured Podcast

Featured Whitepapers