Marshalltown (Iowa) Orthopedics PC will shut its doors May 31, according to Times-Republican.
Here are five things to know.
1. The practice didn't comment on why it's closing, but one of its surgeons is the subject of an ongoing investigation.
2. The Iowa Medical Board is accusing Margaret J. Fehrle, MD, of not providing appropriate orthopedic surgical care to 18 patients between 2008 and 2015. The medical board brought the charges in March, which outlined complications patients suffered following procedures Dr. Fehrle performed.
3. In its statement of charges, the Iowa Medical Board notes Dr. Fehrle shouldn't have performed some of the procedures due to patients' other medical conditions. In other cases, the board alleges patients experienced wound infections.
4. Dr. Fehrle's attorney rebuked the allegations, releasing a statement: "We are aware of evidence that disproves some of the charges based on a preliminary review completed to date. She has a busy practice based on referrals provided by the physicians who know her best. The reality is that Dr. Fehrle is a well-respected orthopedic surgeon."
5. Dr. Fehrle is scheduled for a contested hearing Sept. 19, 20 and 21.