In an American Association of Orthopaedic Executives brief, Todd McDonagh, COO of MedSafe/Total Compliance Solutions, a healthcare compliance company, laid out five steps that healthcare providers should take to ensure that their practice is and remains HIPAA compliant.
The five steps, that Mr. McDonagh suggests, are:
1. Conduct a risk assessment of your practice.
2. Have documented HIPAA policies and procedures in place, such as a Notice of Privacy Practices that should be posted in a conspicuous place in the office.
3. Conduct employee training programs on HIPAA regularly.
4. Have employee disciplinary policies in place.
5. Evaluate your administrative, physical and technical safeguards.
More Articles on Physicians:
Report: 10 Specialties With the Most Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
Team Physician Consensus Statement Gets 2013 Update
66% of Physicians Believe Physician-Hospital Integration Will Increase