Here are five updates on orthopedic regenerative medicine Becker's has reported on since Aug. 15:
1. HippoFi and Zimmer Biomet are partnering to develop and launch a novel synthetic biomaterial for bone growth.
2. A group of lawmakers wrote a letter to Robert Califf, MD, the U.S. FDA commissioner, pushing for stricter guidance for bone grafts in light of a recent spate of tuberculosis linked to orthopedic products.
3. The consensus on whether regenerative medicine is effective in sports medicine is still up in the air, according to Michael Ciccotti, MD, of Rothman Orthopaedic Institute in Philadelphia.
4. A Michigan woman died from tuberculosis linked to tainted bone graft.
5. Aziyo Biologics is in talks to divest its orthopedic business.