From a notable stem cell study to newly launched products, here are eight updates in regenerative orthopedic medicine:
1. Royal Biologics received FDA approval for its MAXX-BMC bone marrow aspirate concentration system.
2. A Cincinnati pain management physician led the first prospective controlled trial in the world on treating chronic back pain with stem cells, with about 70 percent of participants seeing positive results.
3. Theradaptive's OsteoAdapt SP implant received its third FDA breakthrough designation.
4. Aziyo Biologics co-founder Randal Mills, PhD, was named interim president and CEO.
5. Istos Biologics launched the Influx Fibrant line of 100 percent cortical allograft products.
6. AlloSource added the AlloFuse microfibers demineralized bone allograft to its product line.
7. Spiderwort, a startup developing cellulose-based tissue scaffolding to treat acute spinal cord injuries, has secured $13.2 million through a series A financing round.
8. Ossifix Orthopedics will launch its demineralized bone matrix, made from 100 percent human bone tissue in August.