Asterias Biotherapeutics conducted a clinical trial to study the effectiveness of its OPC1 cells, Seeking Alpha reports. The company released its one-year results.
1. The phase 1/2a clinical trial was designed to evaluate OPC1 cells in patients with severe spinal cord injuries.
2. MRI scans one-year after the injections indicated no evidence of adverse changes in the 25 patients treated.
3. Majority of the patients — 95 percent — were treated with 10M or 20M cells recovered at least one motor level on at least one side.
4. Asterias found 32 percent of the patients recovered at least two levels of motor function on at least one side.
5. The company is moving into the second phase of the clinical trial.