Johnson City, Tenn.-based Appalachian Orthopedics now offers cartilage restoration procedures.
Here are three insights:
1. Board-certified orthopedic surgeons Gabriel Hommel, MD, Bart McKinney, MD, John Phillips, MD, and T. Lisle Whitman, MD, are offering: the procedures, including:
- Osteochondral autograft transplantation and osteochondral allograft transplant, which involve transferring healthy cartilage to the damaged area
- DeNovo NT natural tissue graft, which uses juvenile cadaver donor cartilage to repair a damaged area
2. Dr. McKinney is also offersing matrix-assisted autologous chondrocyte implantation, subchondroplasty and osteochondritis dissecans repair. Subchondroplasty is a minimally invasive procedure that treats subchondral bone defects and osteochondritis dissecans repair. incorporates bone grafts and screws for cartilage repair.
3. Appalachian Orthopedics employs 16 physicians.