Dr. James Andrews Performs Bicep Surgery on Astros Picher Brandon LyonWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 23 June 2011 15:05
James Andrews, MD, is scheduled to perform an unusual surgery on Astros relief pitcher Brandon Lyon for damage to his right biceps and shoulder, according to an Ultimate Astros report.
The damage reported on the preoperative MRI is inconclusive, which means Dr. Andrews will operate on Mr. Lyon's biceps tendon and may also fix a partial tear in his rotator cuff and some labrum damage if necessary. David Lintner, MD, Astros team physician, will likely be present at the time of surgery, according to the report.
Mr. Lyon's right bicep tendon is inflamed and may be out of its proper channel, and he has been pitching with the partial rotator cuff tear for a while. Last season, he dealt with a shoulder cyst, which may be associated with the current labrum damage.
The upcoming surgery will end Mr. Lyon's season.
Read the report on surgery for Brandon Lyon.
Related Articles on Team Physicians:
Atlanta Falcoms Names Spero Karas Head Team Physician
Dr. James Andrews Performs Tommy John Surgery on Red Sox Pitcher Rich Hill
Dr. Wiemi Douguih to Perform Shoulder Surgery on Nationals' First Baseman Adam LaRoche
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Sports Medicine
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Todd Fowler running for Johnson City Commission in Tennessee: 6 things to know
- 10 of the biggest orthopedic stories in 2016
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- 5 key points on Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush's bundled payments making healthcare affordable & transparent
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- 'Spare the scalpel' — Dr. Brian Cole sheds light on the future of orthopedic medicine in TEDx Talk
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- How did 5 orthopedic device giants fare in the most recent fiscal period? 45 notes on Stryker, Medtronic & more
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR