Dr. James Andrews Performs Bicep Surgery on Astros Picher Brandon LyonWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 23 June 2011 15:05
James Andrews, MD, is scheduled to perform an unusual surgery on Astros relief pitcher Brandon Lyon for damage to his right biceps and shoulder, according to an Ultimate Astros report.
The damage reported on the preoperative MRI is inconclusive, which means Dr. Andrews will operate on Mr. Lyon's biceps tendon and may also fix a partial tear in his rotator cuff and some labrum damage if necessary. David Lintner, MD, Astros team physician, will likely be present at the time of surgery, according to the report.
Mr. Lyon's right bicep tendon is inflamed and may be out of its proper channel, and he has been pitching with the partial rotator cuff tear for a while. Last season, he dealt with a shoulder cyst, which may be associated with the current labrum damage.
The upcoming surgery will end Mr. Lyon's season.
Read the report on surgery for Brandon Lyon.
Related Articles on Team Physicians:
Atlanta Falcoms Names Spero Karas Head Team Physician
Dr. James Andrews Performs Tommy John Surgery on Red Sox Pitcher Rich Hill
Dr. Wiemi Douguih to Perform Shoulder Surgery on Nationals' First Baseman Adam LaRoche
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Sports Medicine
- 13 orthopedic surgeons treating professional athletes — April 2016
- Treating the elite of the elite — Dr. Robert S. Bray, Jr. on using an integrative approach in sports medicine
- 52 statistics on orthopedic patient characteristics
- Drs. David Chao, Keith Meister & more: 25 orthopedic surgeons in the headlines this week — May 6, 2016
- Dr. Kathleen Weber elected president of MLB Team Physicians Association — 3 highlights
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 336 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Is the Johnson & Johnson job cut an ominous sign for the medical device industry? 5 key thoughts
- Smith & Nephew acquires Blue Belt Technologies — Will Stryker make its move soon? 5 key notes
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- Looking ahead to 2016: What excites spine surgeons most?
- 5 most common reasons orthopedic surgeons are sued
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- North Carolina physician group creates orthopedic bundled payment system — 5 takeaways
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- From cost to patient care — The many ways orthopedic bundled payments help hospitals
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights