Here are four things to know:
1. Mr. Anderson received a second opinion from Dr. Meister on Friday, March 17.
2. Dr. Meister confirmed the original diagnosis of a sprained ulnar collateral ligament and a mild flexor strain.
3. Dr. Meister performed arthroscopic surgery on Mr. Anderson's right elbow on Nov. 9, 2016 to treat posterior discomfort and an impingement in the back of the elbow joint.
4. The surgery's details and date are still being worked out. Mr. Anderson is expected to miss the entire season.
5. Dr. Meister is head team physicians for the Texas Rangers and director of TMI Sports Medicine.
More articles on sports medicine:
March Madness: 68 NCAA tournament team physicians