Dr. Kelly will perform hip arthroscopy to repair a torn labrum, bone impingement and cyst correction for Mr. Rodriguez's left hip. Marc Philippon, MD, of The Steadman Clinic, initially diagnosed these issues and Dr. Kelly confirmed the diagnosis.
Mr. Rodriguez is expected to complete a four to six week pre-habilitation period and spend four to six months recovering.
More Articles on Sports Medicine:
Cleveland Clinic Surgeons Perform Knee Surgery on Indians Pitcher Corey Kluber
Study Examines Baseball-to-Helmet Impact in MLB
Branford Sports Hall of Fame Inducts Dr. Jack Kelley
Dr. Bryan Kelly to Perform Hip Surgery on Yankees' Alex Rodriguez FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Tuesday, 04 December 2012 14:58
Bryan Kelly, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, will perform hip surgery on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, according to an MLB report.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Sports Medicine
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Drs. Neal ElAttrache, Steve Jordan & Luga Podesta share their thoughts on the future of UCL reconstruction
- Sports medicine physicians maneuver a balancing act: Athletico Founder Mark Kaufman on clearly articulating expectations with athletes
- Dr. Nikhil Verma to head sports medicine division at Chicago's Rush University Medical Center
- Why this orthopedic surgeon left the field after 30 years — for the medical marijuana boom
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- The great PA debate: Should spine surgeons hire them?
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- More than half of hospital orthopedic programs unprepared for CMS joint replacement program: 7 takeaways
- 5 key points on Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush's bundled payments making healthcare affordable & transparent
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics