Here are five things to know:
1. Dr. Friedman has been working with Mr. Krzyzewski for several weeks to manage symptoms associated with his back pain. Nonoperative techniques failed to resolve Mr. Krzyzewski's pain and he decided to undergo surgery.
2. Mr. Krzyzewski is expected to spend at least four weeks recovering from the procedure. Duke's Associate Head Coach Jeff Capel will assume Mr. Krzyzewski's coaching responsibilities until he is cleared to return to the court.
3. The procedure will remove a fragment of a herniated disc in Mr. Krzyzewski's back.
4. Dr. Friedman is the Guy L. Odom Professor of Neurological Surgery and deputy director of The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke.
5. Dr. Friedman earned his medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and completed his neurosurgery residency at Duke University Medical Center.