He shared how orthopedic and spine-driven surgery centers can develop legal and profitable recovery care centers. ASCs are limited in the duration and scope of the services they can provide. However, a recovery care center can allow them to perform more significant care, he said.
Benefits of developing a recovery center include:
• Growing the ASC market
• Increasing profits
• Benefits in recovery time for patients
• Attracting practitioners
• Providing an additional convenience for patients and families
Centers should always be cognizant of recovery center guidelines, which vary from state to state. Often, these centers cannot be used for Medicare patients and have very specific components for the physical plans and services.
Clinical issues to consider include:
• Choosing medically appropriate patients
• Having a post-surgical family support system
• Knowing patient BMI and health history
• Educating patients and families prior to surgeries
"Recovery care centers can be a terrific opportunity," Mr. Newman said. "They come with associated challenges. You have to look at the marketplace, understand the payer community and do a complete risk assessment of the challenges they might bring."
He also encourages centers to work with their state regulators and engage in thorough dialogue between legal and clinical experts to make sure all needs are met.
How Recovery Care Centers Can Be Financially Viable for Spine ASCs FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 18 June 2013 21:02
At the 11th Annual Spine, Orthopedic & Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference on June 14, John Newman, senior vice president and general counsel for Constitutional Surgical Centers, talked about recovery care services for orthopedic ASCs.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Bundled payments in spine: Key thoughts from Dr. Stephen Hochschuler
- Spinal fusion physician fees for the 30 largest US cities — Charlotte, NC tops the list at $9.9k
- Lateral Approaches to Spine Surgery – Decisions and Challenges
- Which spine surgery techniques have outlived their usefulness?
- 9 spine surgeons & neurosurgeons on the move in March 2017
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights
- What 6 sports medicine physicians wish they would've known at the beginning of their careers
- American College of Physicians releases new guidelines for treating low back pain: 5 key points
- 40 statistics on spine surgeon and neurosurgeon pay
- 16 things to know about spinal fusions
- Dr. Kenneth Pettine: Stem cell therapy is here to stay
- Titan Spine leads push for titanium interbody device resurgence through nanotechnology differentiation
- Dr. Christopher Duntsch sentenced to life in prison for injuring his patients: 5 key takeaways
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- 5 reasons why spine care will boom in the next decade
- The man behind the fraud — Who is Dr. Aria Sabit?
- 10 things to know about Stryker
- 5 health IT predictions for 2017
- Drs. Frederick Boop, Michael Gleiber, F. Todd Wetzel & more: 90+ spine surgeons & neurosurgeons receiving honors in 2016
- Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health open concierge spine center of excellence
- DePuy Synthes earns FDA clearance for VIPER, EXPEDIUM screws: 5 highlights
- Henry Ford Health System drops out of Medicare bundled payments for joint replacement: 5 key notes