He shared how orthopedic and spine-driven surgery centers can develop legal and profitable recovery care centers. ASCs are limited in the duration and scope of the services they can provide. However, a recovery care center can allow them to perform more significant care, he said.
Benefits of developing a recovery center include:
• Growing the ASC market
• Increasing profits
• Benefits in recovery time for patients
• Attracting practitioners
• Providing an additional convenience for patients and families
Centers should always be cognizant of recovery center guidelines, which vary from state to state. Often, these centers cannot be used for Medicare patients and have very specific components for the physical plans and services.
Clinical issues to consider include:
• Choosing medically appropriate patients
• Having a post-surgical family support system
• Knowing patient BMI and health history
• Educating patients and families prior to surgeries
"Recovery care centers can be a terrific opportunity," Mr. Newman said. "They come with associated challenges. You have to look at the marketplace, understand the payer community and do a complete risk assessment of the challenges they might bring."
He also encourages centers to work with their state regulators and engage in thorough dialogue between legal and clinical experts to make sure all needs are met.
How Recovery Care Centers Can Be Financially Viable for Spine ASCs FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 18 June 2013 21:02
At the 11th Annual Spine, Orthopedic & Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference on June 14, John Newman, senior vice president and general counsel for Constitutional Surgical Centers, talked about recovery care services for orthopedic ASCs.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- AMA presents AANS & CNS Washington Office director with Lifetime Achievement Award: 6 highlights
- The top-performing spine surgeons have these qualities in common
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- 34 latest trends in the global orthopedic devices market
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Evolutionary vs. revolutionary: The future of surgical devices and spine surgery
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- UCLA pays $8.5M to settle 2 lawsuits after undisclosed spine surgeon relationship with Medtronic: 5 key notes
- Medtronic, SeaSpine, Zimmer Biomet & more: 17 key notes
- The efficacy of electrical bone stimulators & ultrasound for bone healing — Dr. Mohit Bhandari weighs in with new evidence