Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- AMA presents AANS & CNS Washington Office director with Lifetime Achievement Award: 6 highlights
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 'Spare the scalpel' — Dr. Brian Cole sheds light on the future of orthopedic medicine in TEDx Talk
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- 34 latest trends in the global orthopedic devices market
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Evolutionary vs. revolutionary: The future of surgical devices and spine surgery
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology