Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- Managing chronic back pain: 6 things to know about National Pain Strategy
- AANS appoints Dr. Frederick Boop president — 7 highlights
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 336 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Smith & Nephew acquires Blue Belt Technologies — Will Stryker make its move soon? 5 key notes
- Is the Johnson & Johnson job cut an ominous sign for the medical device industry? 5 key thoughts
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- Looking ahead to 2016: What excites spine surgeons most?
- 5 most common reasons orthopedic surgeons are sued
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- North Carolina physician group creates orthopedic bundled payment system — 5 takeaways
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- From cost to patient care — The many ways orthopedic bundled payments help hospitals
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights