Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Endoscopic spine surgery makes it into CMS' 2017 fee schedule proposed rule: 4 things to know
- Dr. James Manzanares performs Seaside Surgery Center's 1st outpatient spinal surgery: 5 highlights
- Minimally invasive vs. open spinal fusion: 6 key notes on cost & quality
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Should medical device companies advertise direct to consumers?
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics