Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 'Surgery is like comfort food for my soul' — Dr. Thomas Scully on being a neurosurgeon in an evolving landscape
- 44 MIS spine devices to know; Role of surgical microscope in modern MIS spine & more — 8 stories to know
- 17 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in August 2016
- The healthcare policy changes spine surgeons would make
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 5 key points on Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush's bundled payments making healthcare affordable & transparent
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- 'Spare the scalpel' — Dr. Brian Cole sheds light on the future of orthopedic medicine in TEDx Talk
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic to pay $750k in potential HIPAA violation: 5 things to know
- How did 5 orthopedic device giants fare in the most recent fiscal period? 45 notes on Stryker, Medtronic & more
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know