Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- The endless possibilities in spine biologics, artificial disc & outpatient procedures
- 5 things to know about Medicare charges for cervical spine surgery
- Drs. Troy Caron, Raj Kakarlapudi, Jeff Martin join Laser Spine's surgery centers: 5 key points
- The ICD-10 deadline is almost upon us — Are spine surgeons ready?
- Spotlight on patient engagement: Which initiatives do spine surgeons swear by?
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 12 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2015
- North American Spine brings in two new procedures — 5 things to know
- Drs. Larry Lenke, Daniel Riew, Ronald Lehman leaving St. Louis for NYC — 5 things to know
- DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Zimmer, Medtronic lead global orthopedics now — 8 key notes on where they're headed
- Bundled spine surgery for Walmart, Lowe's employees — 6 things to know
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- Medtronic is headed for strong 2015 — 8 reasons why
- 25 Spine Device Awards | 2015
- 20 Spine Surgeon Leadership Awards | 2015
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- A differentiated approach in lateral spine surgery: Oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF at L2-L5)
- 10 spine, orthopedic surgeon tech entrepreneurs to know
- Top 10 specialties with highest pay — Orthopedists lead the pack
- Zimmer voluntarily recalls knee device
- Safeguards to Prevent Neurologic Complications after Epidural Steroid Injections: Analysis of Evidence and Lack of Applicability of Controversial Policies
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine neurological surgery chief Dr. Andrew Parsa dies
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Dr. Neal ElAttrache to perform Manny Pacquiao's shoulder surgery: 5 things to know
- Spinal fusion vs. disc replacement: Which costs more? 5 key notes
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Building an empire: How Dr. Douglas Won created a physician-led health system
- Zimmer Q1 sales drop 2.3%, Biomet merger still not final — 10 things to know
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- How The CORE Institute grew 40% last quarter — IT leads the way
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Is Smith & Nephew's cost-conscious strategy working? 5 key notes
- Johnson & Johnson (J&J) sells Cordis line for $1.9B: What it could mean for DePuy Synthes
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- How high-energy spine surgeons start their day — 5 things to know
- Spinal deformity surgery — On the cutting edge with Drs. Isador Lieberman, Suken Shah
- Dr. Ziya Gokaslan to leave Johns Hopkins for Rhode Island Hospital
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- Cervical disc replacement Mobi-C vs. spinal fusion: Are there advantages to one? 6 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- 5 statistics on orthopedic surgeon net worth
- Hospital for Special Surgery names Dr. Frank Schwab spine service chief — 5 things to know
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market