Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- Does workers' compensation matter for cervical disc arthroplasty outcomes? 6 key notes
- NY spine surgeries migrating to high-volume centers — 5 key points
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 minimally invasive spine devices to know
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- 334 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- Dr. Richard Rooney pleads guilty to undisclosed financial interest, sentenced to prison: 5 things to know
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Stryker recalls 16k+ units of orthopedic products: 5 takeaways
- The future of private practice: Key thoughts from OrthoCarolina CEO Dr. Daniel Murrey
- 5 trends putting the squeeze on surgical practices
- MIS, stem cells, biologics & more: What excites spine surgeons most about the current landscape?
- Transparency in healthcare can work today — Hoag Orthopedic Institute proves it
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Drs. Troy Caron, Raj Kakarlapudi, Jeff Martin join Laser Spine's surgery centers: 5 key points
- Global spine surgery device market seeing double-digit growth: 5 key points
- 8 surprising topics your spine patients are researching
- The theory behind Geisinger's spine surgery refund
- The ICD-10 deadline is almost upon us — Are spine surgeons ready?
- 5 key trends on Massachusetts physician pay — And what it means for US physicians
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Q2 financials: 150 things to know about NuVasive, Stryker, J&J Orthopedics & more
- 5 trends in the medical tourism market
- 10 statistics on neurosurgeon salaries & bonuses
- 10 key notes on the 2016 CMS physician fee schedule
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Intersecting care of spine pain specialists & spine surgeons: Drs. Heidi Prather & Scott Glaser talk pain
- Rothman Institute merges with OrthopaediCare; adds 17 physicians: 4 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- Alphatec Spine, LDR, Globus Medical & more — 21 key notes
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- Is PEEK cost-effective for spinal surgery? 5 things to know
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- ProDisc-C vs. spinal fusion: Which has better results? 5 key notes