Texas Spine & Joint Hospital revealed $27 million expansion.
Texas Spine & Joint Hospital in Tyler has unveiled a $27 million expansion and renovation of its facility. The project included the addition of three pain procedure rooms, admitting offices, pharmacy, laboratory and a surgical pre-operation area. Two new operating rooms are yet to be added to the existing three and renovations are yet to be completed.
FDA 510(k) review times shortened in 2011.
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011. The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform received FDA approval.
The FDA approved Surgical Theater's Selman Surgery Rehearsal Platform, one of the only patented and approved platforms for cerebral and spine pre-surgery rehearsal. The SRP generates 3-D models based on standard scanned images from patients that show the interaction between tissue and surgical instruments.
New spine devices coming.
Zimmer Spine launched its Zimmer DTO 5.5 System for disc degeneration with fusion and non-fusion treatments. The newly released spine implant will build on the success of the original Zimmer DTO System, which connects several other Zimmer devices. Tel Aviv-based Premia Spine developed an implant to treat spinal disorders without fusion.
The TOPS system is designed for motion preservation, unlike fusion which eliminates of the three motion segments, and can be used to treat spondylolisthesis and lumbar spinal stenosis. Premia is conducting clinical trials in the U.S., and it could take five years for FDA approval.
FDA recalled DePuy orthopedic knee device.
The FDA issued a Class 1 recall for DePuy Orthopaedics' LPS Diaphyseal Sleeve, which is used with the LPS system as an end-stage revision knee device. The taper connection between the sleeve and the base may not be able to accommodate the physiologic loads that occur during normal activity. If loads fracture the sleeve at the taper joint, it could lead to loss of function, loss of limb, infection, compromised soft tissue or death.
More Republican governors agree to expand Medicaid.
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J) will agree to broaden the eligibility requirements for Medicaid under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in exchange for federal funding, making him the eighth GOP governor to do so. Gov. Christie will announce his support in his budget address this afternoon, following other conservative state leaders like Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
Nevada Neurosurgery and Sierra Neurosurgery Group merged.
Nevada Neurosurgery, founded by Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FACS in 2010, merged with Sierra Neurosurgery Group on February 1. Dr. Sekhon, a spine neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience, will join with nine neurosurgeons at Sierra Neurosurgery Group, based in Reno, Nev.
More Articles on Spine:
Vertebral Motion Analysis Comes to Allegheny General Hospital
5 Achievable Goals for Spine Practice Operational Success
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center Opens New Spine Center
7 Things for Spine Surgeons to Know for Thursday FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:26
Here are seven things for spinal surgeons to know for Feb. 28, 2013.Last modified on Thursday, 28 February 2013 15:28
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Reducing opioid dependence — The multimodal approach to pain management
- Dr. Steven Meier performs 1st stem cell/PRP injection for back pain at La Peer Health Systems: 5 things to know
- ProDisc-C vs. spinal fusion: Which has better results? 5 key notes
- The theory behind Geisinger's spine surgery refund
- Neurosurgeon Dr. Noel Tulipan of Vanderbilt dies at 64
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Grand jury indicts troubled Texas spine surgeon — 5 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- 23 statistics for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth & more
- Brigham and Women's Hospital names Dr. James Kang orthopedics chairman: 6 key facts
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market
- The future of orthopedics: ACOs, bundled payments, gain-sharing & the advantage in change
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 things to know about Stryker
- 15 things to know about Smith & Nephew
- Spine surgery in a value-based world: Dr. Jed Vanichkachorn on spine bundled payments
- The endless possibilities in spine biologics, artificial disc & outpatient procedures
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Hospital employment vs. independent practice: 5 spine surgeons weigh in
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- Surgeon Scorecard — Good or bad for spine? 5 things to know
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- 3rd spinal cord injury patient with InVivo's Neuro-Spinal Scaffold improving: 5 key updates
- Former OtisMed CEO gets 2 years in prison in knee device scandal — 5 key notes
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- Renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert Small dies in bicycle crash — 4 things to know
- 22 minimally invasive spine devices to know
- NYU Langone welcomes Dr. R. Shay Bess as head of adult spinal deformity: 7 key notes
- Zimmer-Biomet $14B merger finally complete — 6 things to know
- Spinal fusion after 10 years: 5 key notes on adjacent segment disease
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds
- Dr. Richard Rooney pleads guilty to undisclosed financial interest, sentenced to prison: 5 things to know
- DePuy Synthes, 3D Systems, DJO & more — 20 key notes