The manual also uses the term "physician" to include medical professionals, including \physician assistants and nurse practitioners. All personnel should use the same codes.
The following are specific orthopedic changes:
• Spine CPT errata — A change has been added for spine bone grafts, instrumentation and intervertebral device CPT codes to address the omission of CPT codes 22633 and 22634 as primary or index codes for these three areas. Now the codes can be appropriately related.
• Cervical spinal arthrodesis guideline — If work associated with the procedure codes 22554, 22585, 63075 and 63076 is being performed during the same surgery by one or two separate surgeons during the same session, than codes 22551 and 22552 should be used. Codes 63075 and 22554 may not be unbundled.
• New spine CPT code — 22586 is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance and includes bone graft when performed.
• New spine CPT code — 0309T is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance, includes bone graft, when performed, lumbar, L4-L5 interspace. This is a category III code and is an add-on code to 22586.
More Articles on Spine:
12 Steps for Spine Surgeons to Take Now Before Bush Tax Cuts Expire
5 Tips for Entrepreneurial Spine Surgeons to Stay Independent
NASS Honors LSU Spine Surgeons for Research Paper
Spine CPT Code Guideline Changes Announced for 2013 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 04 December 2012 18:32
CPT codes and guidelines changed slightly for orthopedic-related procedures, according to AAOS Now.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Which non-patient issues are keeping spine surgeons up at night?
- Defining value in spine: Improved outcomes & cost reduction
- Patient sues spine surgeon, Northwestern Memorial alleging negligence: 5 things to know
- Dr. Richard Rooney pleads guilty to undisclosed financial interest, sentenced to prison: 5 things to know
- MIS, stem cells, biologics & more: What excites spine surgeons most about the current landscape?
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Zimmer, Medtronic lead global orthopedics now — 8 key notes on where they're headed
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- 20 Spine Surgeon Leadership Awards | 2015
- 25 Spine Device Awards | 2015
- A differentiated approach in lateral spine surgery: Oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF at L2-L5)
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- Top 10 specialties with highest pay — Orthopedists lead the pack
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Dr. Neal ElAttrache to perform Manny Pacquiao's shoulder surgery: 5 things to know
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- Spinal fusion vs. disc replacement: Which costs more? 5 key notes
- Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine neurological surgery chief Dr. Andrew Parsa dies
- Zimmer Q1 sales drop 2.3%, Biomet merger still not final — 10 things to know
- How The CORE Institute grew 40% last quarter — IT leads the way
- Is Smith & Nephew's cost-conscious strategy working? 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- How high-energy spine surgeons start their day — 5 things to know
- Grand jury indicts troubled Texas spine surgeon — 5 key notes
- 5 statistics on orthopedic surgeon net worth
- Cervical disc replacement Mobi-C vs. spinal fusion: Are there advantages to one? 6 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- Spinal deformity surgery — On the cutting edge with Drs. Isador Lieberman, Suken Shah
- 23 statistics for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth & more
- Hospital for Special Surgery names Dr. Frank Schwab spine service chief — 5 things to know
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market
- 8 ways to improve your patient experience
- Brigham and Women's Hospital names Dr. James Kang orthopedics chairman: 6 key facts
- The future of orthopedics: ACOs, bundled payments, gain-sharing & the advantage in change
- 8 reasons why things are looking up for Amedica
- Minimally invasive spine surgery — Current trends & topics
- The best vacation spots for spine surgeons
- Spine surgery in a value-based world: Dr. Jed Vanichkachorn on spine bundled payments
- 22 things to know about Stryker
- Hospital employment vs. independent practice: 5 spine surgeons weigh in