The manual also uses the term "physician" to include medical professionals, including \physician assistants and nurse practitioners. All personnel should use the same codes.
The following are specific orthopedic changes:
• Spine CPT errata — A change has been added for spine bone grafts, instrumentation and intervertebral device CPT codes to address the omission of CPT codes 22633 and 22634 as primary or index codes for these three areas. Now the codes can be appropriately related.
• Cervical spinal arthrodesis guideline — If work associated with the procedure codes 22554, 22585, 63075 and 63076 is being performed during the same surgery by one or two separate surgeons during the same session, than codes 22551 and 22552 should be used. Codes 63075 and 22554 may not be unbundled.
• New spine CPT code — 22586 is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance and includes bone graft when performed.
• New spine CPT code — 0309T is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance, includes bone graft, when performed, lumbar, L4-L5 interspace. This is a category III code and is an add-on code to 22586.
More Articles on Spine:
12 Steps for Spine Surgeons to Take Now Before Bush Tax Cuts Expire
5 Tips for Entrepreneurial Spine Surgeons to Stay Independent
NASS Honors LSU Spine Surgeons for Research Paper
Spine CPT Code Guideline Changes Announced for 2013 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 04 December 2012 18:32
CPT codes and guidelines changed slightly for orthopedic-related procedures, according to AAOS Now.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Endoscopic spine surgery makes it into CMS' 2017 fee schedule proposed rule: 4 things to know
- Dr. James Manzanares performs Seaside Surgery Center's 1st outpatient spinal surgery: 5 highlights
- Minimally invasive vs. open spinal fusion: 6 key notes on cost & quality
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Should medical device companies advertise direct to consumers?
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Long Island physician faces drug charges following patient death — 5 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements