The manual also uses the term "physician" to include medical professionals, including \physician assistants and nurse practitioners. All personnel should use the same codes.
The following are specific orthopedic changes:
• Spine CPT errata — A change has been added for spine bone grafts, instrumentation and intervertebral device CPT codes to address the omission of CPT codes 22633 and 22634 as primary or index codes for these three areas. Now the codes can be appropriately related.
• Cervical spinal arthrodesis guideline — If work associated with the procedure codes 22554, 22585, 63075 and 63076 is being performed during the same surgery by one or two separate surgeons during the same session, than codes 22551 and 22552 should be used. Codes 63075 and 22554 may not be unbundled.
• New spine CPT code — 22586 is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance and includes bone graft when performed.
• New spine CPT code — 0309T is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance, includes bone graft, when performed, lumbar, L4-L5 interspace. This is a category III code and is an add-on code to 22586.
More Articles on Spine:
12 Steps for Spine Surgeons to Take Now Before Bush Tax Cuts Expire
5 Tips for Entrepreneurial Spine Surgeons to Stay Independent
NASS Honors LSU Spine Surgeons for Research Paper
Spine CPT Code Guideline Changes Announced for 2013 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 04 December 2012 18:32
CPT codes and guidelines changed slightly for orthopedic-related procedures, according to AAOS Now.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- Does workers' compensation matter for cervical disc arthroplasty outcomes? 6 key notes
- NY spine surgeries migrating to high-volume centers — 5 key points
- 8 things for spine surgeons to know for Thursday — Jan. 14, 2016
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 minimally invasive spine devices to know
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- 334 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Dr. Richard Rooney pleads guilty to undisclosed financial interest, sentenced to prison: 5 things to know
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Stryker recalls 16k+ units of orthopedic products: 5 takeaways
- The future of private practice: Key thoughts from OrthoCarolina CEO Dr. Daniel Murrey
- 5 trends putting the squeeze on surgical practices
- MIS, stem cells, biologics & more: What excites spine surgeons most about the current landscape?
- Transparency in healthcare can work today — Hoag Orthopedic Institute proves it
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Drs. Troy Caron, Raj Kakarlapudi, Jeff Martin join Laser Spine's surgery centers: 5 key points
- Global spine surgery device market seeing double-digit growth: 5 key points
- The theory behind Geisinger's spine surgery refund
- 8 surprising topics your spine patients are researching
- The ICD-10 deadline is almost upon us — Are spine surgeons ready?
- 5 key trends on Massachusetts physician pay — And what it means for US physicians
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Q2 financials: 150 things to know about NuVasive, Stryker, J&J Orthopedics & more
- 5 trends in the medical tourism market
- 10 statistics on neurosurgeon salaries & bonuses
- 10 key notes on the 2016 CMS physician fee schedule
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Intersecting care of spine pain specialists & spine surgeons: Drs. Heidi Prather & Scott Glaser talk pain
- Rothman Institute merges with OrthopaediCare; adds 17 physicians: 4 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- Alphatec Spine, LDR, Globus Medical & more — 21 key notes
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- Is PEEK cost-effective for spinal surgery? 5 things to know
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- ProDisc-C vs. spinal fusion: Which has better results? 5 key notes