The manual also uses the term "physician" to include medical professionals, including \physician assistants and nurse practitioners. All personnel should use the same codes.
The following are specific orthopedic changes:
• Spine CPT errata — A change has been added for spine bone grafts, instrumentation and intervertebral device CPT codes to address the omission of CPT codes 22633 and 22634 as primary or index codes for these three areas. Now the codes can be appropriately related.
• Cervical spinal arthrodesis guideline — If work associated with the procedure codes 22554, 22585, 63075 and 63076 is being performed during the same surgery by one or two separate surgeons during the same session, than codes 22551 and 22552 should be used. Codes 63075 and 22554 may not be unbundled.
• New spine CPT code — 22586 is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance and includes bone graft when performed.
• New spine CPT code — 0309T is the new code for arthrodesis, pre-sacral interbody technique, including disc space preparation, discectomy, with posterior instrumentation, with image guidance, includes bone graft, when performed, lumbar, L4-L5 interspace. This is a category III code and is an add-on code to 22586.
More Articles on Spine:
12 Steps for Spine Surgeons to Take Now Before Bush Tax Cuts Expire
5 Tips for Entrepreneurial Spine Surgeons to Stay Independent
NASS Honors LSU Spine Surgeons for Research Paper
Spine CPT Code Guideline Changes Announced for 2013 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 04 December 2012 18:32
CPT codes and guidelines changed slightly for orthopedic-related procedures, according to AAOS Now.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Bundled payments in spine: Key thoughts from Dr. Stephen Hochschuler
- Lateral Approaches to Spine Surgery – Decisions and Challenges
- Which spine surgery techniques have outlived their usefulness?
- 9 spine surgeons & neurosurgeons on the move in March 2017
- Wolters Kluwer & The Joint Commission reveal 8 online courses for joint replacement advanced certification — 5 things to know
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights
- What 6 sports medicine physicians wish they would've known at the beginning of their careers
- American College of Physicians releases new guidelines for treating low back pain: 5 key points
- 16 things to know about spinal fusions
- 40 statistics on spine surgeon and neurosurgeon pay
- Dr. Kenneth Pettine: Stem cell therapy is here to stay
- Dr. Christopher Duntsch sentenced to life in prison for injuring his patients: 5 key takeaways
- Titan Spine leads push for titanium interbody device resurgence through nanotechnology differentiation
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- 5 reasons why spine care will boom in the next decade
- The man behind the fraud — Who is Dr. Aria Sabit?
- 10 things to know about Stryker
- 5 health IT predictions for 2017
- Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health open concierge spine center of excellence
- Drs. Frederick Boop, Michael Gleiber, F. Todd Wetzel & more: 90+ spine surgeons & neurosurgeons receiving honors in 2016
- DePuy Synthes earns FDA clearance for VIPER, EXPEDIUM screws: 5 highlights
- Henry Ford Health System drops out of Medicare bundled payments for joint replacement: 5 key notes
- 11 spine surgeons on advising their patients about experimental therapies