Mr. Jacobson's "pack-and-fill" technique is backed by research completed in part at the motion analysis lab at Erie Shriners Ambulatory Surgery Center and Outpatient Specialty Care Center. The technique is separate from protocol established by the National Athletic Trainers' Association.
The research shows placing towels beneath the neck of a football player with a suspected spine injury after removing the helmet is preferable to removing both the helmet and the pads.
Mr. Jacobson is also the lead author of an upcoming article in the Journal of Athletic Training, "Cervical Spine Motion During American Football Equipment Removal Protocols: A Challenge to the All-or-Nothing Endeavor."
More Articles on Spine:
Spinal Healthcare of the Future: 3 Responsibilities Post-Healthcare Reform
Building a Spine Surgery Center: 5 Points From Dr. Richard Kube
What Regulations Cause the Biggest Headaches for Spine Surgeons?
Brad Jacobson Educates NFL Trainers on Cervical Spine Injury TechniquesWritten by Heather Linder | Thursday, 15 November 2012 20:47
Brad Jacobson, chairman of Mercyhurst University's Sports Medicine Department in Erie, Pa., toured National Football League training camps this past summer to educate the league on how to improve the handling of cervical spine injuries, according to the Erie Times-News.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- Bundled payments in spine: Key thoughts from Dr. Stephen Hochschuler
- Lateral Approaches to Spine Surgery – Decisions and Challenges
- Which spine surgery techniques have outlived their usefulness?
- 9 spine surgeons & neurosurgeons on the move in March 2017
- Wolters Kluwer & The Joint Commission reveal 8 online courses for joint replacement advanced certification — 5 things to know
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights
- What 6 sports medicine physicians wish they would've known at the beginning of their careers
- American College of Physicians releases new guidelines for treating low back pain: 5 key points
- 16 things to know about spinal fusions
- 40 statistics on spine surgeon and neurosurgeon pay
- Dr. Kenneth Pettine: Stem cell therapy is here to stay
- Dr. Christopher Duntsch sentenced to life in prison for injuring his patients: 5 key takeaways
- Titan Spine leads push for titanium interbody device resurgence through nanotechnology differentiation
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- 5 reasons why spine care will boom in the next decade
- The man behind the fraud — Who is Dr. Aria Sabit?
- 10 things to know about Stryker
- 5 health IT predictions for 2017
- Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health open concierge spine center of excellence
- Drs. Frederick Boop, Michael Gleiber, F. Todd Wetzel & more: 90+ spine surgeons & neurosurgeons receiving honors in 2016
- DePuy Synthes earns FDA clearance for VIPER, EXPEDIUM screws: 5 highlights
- Henry Ford Health System drops out of Medicare bundled payments for joint replacement: 5 key notes
- 11 spine surgeons on advising their patients about experimental therapies