Researchers analyzed the antibody formation to BMP-2, bovine collagen and human collagen. The study authors noted three prospective clinical studies investigating rhBMP-2 use in single-level lumbar spinal arthrodesis. Two studies applied rhBMP-2 to an absorbable collagen sponge for lumbar interbody fusion and the other study investigated rhBMP-2 applied to ceramic and collagen compression-resistant matrix for instrumented posterolateral fusion.
The researchers found a BMP-2 antibody formation in 0.8 percent and in 6.4 percent of the rhBMP-2 patients. The control groups experienced 0-2.3 percent antibody formation rates. No neutralizing antibodies were detected and the formation of BMP-2 antibodies that peaked within the first three months postoperatively had returned to baseline by the one-year mark.
According to the report, adverse event rates were comparable between the antibody-positive and antibody-negative patients.
Related Articles on Spine Surgery:
Study Shows Good Results for IV Acetaminophen Administration for Pediatric Spine Surgery
Study: Spinal Stenosis Patients Treated Quicker Have Better Outcomes
Study: Lumbar Disc Arthroplasty Shows Better Results Than Fusion for DDD
Study: BMP Antibody Formation Not Associated With ComplicationsWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 01 December 2011 18:38
A recent study published in Spine showed that the formation of anti-BMP-2 antibodies is low and transient in spinal fusion patients, and the formation of antibodies doesn't affect fusion rates or have clinical sequelae.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Spine
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- The man behind the fraud — Who is Dr. Aria Sabit?
- 5 reasons why spine care will boom in the next decade
- Is Geisinger's refund program working? One year later, here are the results
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- 5 largest orthopedic companies have 61% of market share
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 spine codes CMS proposes for ASC coverage in 2017
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Dr. Jonathan Falakassa joins Southern California Orthopedic Institute: 5 key notes
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- Medtronic, Stryker and Smith & Nephew dominate MIS instruments market — 6 observations
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- 'Surgery is like comfort food for my soul' — Dr. Thomas Scully on being a neurosurgeon in an evolving landscape
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- An innovation powerhouse — Techstars Healthcare Accelerator in partnership with Cedars-Sinai brings health startups' visions to fruition
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 8 trends impacting the global sports medicine devices market through 2019
- 5 key statistics on young physician compensation — Orthopedics comes out on top at $329k
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield now covers 2-Level disc replacement with Zimmer Biomet's Mobi-C