His specialties include cervical fusion for treatment of disc disease, degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis, trauma and reconstruction, lumbar and thoracic decompression and fusion, deformity, and more. His surgical philosophy is conservative care for most spine problems.
Dr. Meyer has contributed to developing new techniques and instrumentation for minimally invasive fusions. He is among the first surgeons to perform lumbar disc replacements.
Dr. Meyer also performs arthrodesis, bursectomy, disc fusion, fracture repair, kyphoplasty, traumatic injury repair and X-stop spinal surgery.
He is the former the president of the Texas Spine Society and a diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He's also a member of the North American Spine Society, American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China, Texas Medical Association, Texas Orthopaedic Association and Harris County Medical Society.
He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received the Dean's NIH Fellowship for Medical Student Research and The Warner-Lambert Fellowship for Medical Study in Taiwan. Dr. Meyer completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He then completed a spine fellowship at the Kenton D. Leatherman Spine Program in Kentucky, where his focus was on scoliosis and spinal deformities.
More Articles on Spine Leaders:
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Bernard Rawlins of the Hospital for Special Surgery
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Gary Steinberg of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Ivan Cheng of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Christoph Meyer of Houston Orthopedic & Spine HospitalWritten by Heather Linder | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 18:10
Christoph Meyer, MD, is a spine surgeon at the Houston Orthopedic & Spine Hospital and a faculty member at the University of Texas.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Grand jury indicts troubled Texas spine surgeon — 5 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- 23 statistics for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth & more
- Brigham and Women's Hospital names Dr. James Kang orthopedics chairman: 6 key facts
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market
- The future of orthopedics: ACOs, bundled payments, gain-sharing & the advantage in change
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 things to know about Stryker
- 15 things to know about Smith & Nephew
- Spine surgery in a value-based world: Dr. Jed Vanichkachorn on spine bundled payments
- The endless possibilities in spine biologics, artificial disc & outpatient procedures
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Hospital employment vs. independent practice: 5 spine surgeons weigh in
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- 7 trends in the $850M bone graft substitute market
- Surgeon Scorecard — Good or bad for spine? 5 things to know
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- 3rd spinal cord injury patient with InVivo's Neuro-Spinal Scaffold improving: 5 key updates
- Former OtisMed CEO gets 2 years in prison in knee device scandal — 5 key notes
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- Renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert Small dies in bicycle crash — 4 things to know
- NYU Langone welcomes Dr. R. Shay Bess as head of adult spinal deformity: 7 key notes
- Zimmer-Biomet $14B merger finally complete — 6 things to know
- Spinal fusion after 10 years: 5 key notes on adjacent segment disease
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds