His specialties include cervical fusion for treatment of disc disease, degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis, trauma and reconstruction, lumbar and thoracic decompression and fusion, deformity, and more. His surgical philosophy is conservative care for most spine problems.
Dr. Meyer has contributed to developing new techniques and instrumentation for minimally invasive fusions. He is among the first surgeons to perform lumbar disc replacements.
Dr. Meyer also performs arthrodesis, bursectomy, disc fusion, fracture repair, kyphoplasty, traumatic injury repair and X-stop spinal surgery.
He is the former the president of the Texas Spine Society and a diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He's also a member of the North American Spine Society, American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China, Texas Medical Association, Texas Orthopaedic Association and Harris County Medical Society.
He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received the Dean's NIH Fellowship for Medical Student Research and The Warner-Lambert Fellowship for Medical Study in Taiwan. Dr. Meyer completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He then completed a spine fellowship at the Kenton D. Leatherman Spine Program in Kentucky, where his focus was on scoliosis and spinal deformities.
More Articles on Spine Leaders:
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Bernard Rawlins of the Hospital for Special Surgery
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Gary Steinberg of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Ivan Cheng of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Christoph Meyer of Houston Orthopedic & Spine HospitalWritten by Heather Linder | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 18:10
Christoph Meyer, MD, is a spine surgeon at the Houston Orthopedic & Spine Hospital and a faculty member at the University of Texas.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- 34 latest trends in the global orthopedic devices market
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- Evolutionary vs. revolutionary: The future of surgical devices and spine surgery
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- UCLA pays $8.5M to settle 2 lawsuits after undisclosed spine surgeon relationship with Medtronic: 5 key notes
- Medtronic, SeaSpine, Zimmer Biomet & more: 17 key notes
- The efficacy of electrical bone stimulators & ultrasound for bone healing — Dr. Mohit Bhandari weighs in with new evidence