His specialties include cervical fusion for treatment of disc disease, degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis, trauma and reconstruction, lumbar and thoracic decompression and fusion, deformity, and more. His surgical philosophy is conservative care for most spine problems.
Dr. Meyer has contributed to developing new techniques and instrumentation for minimally invasive fusions. He is among the first surgeons to perform lumbar disc replacements.
Dr. Meyer also performs arthrodesis, bursectomy, disc fusion, fracture repair, kyphoplasty, traumatic injury repair and X-stop spinal surgery.
He is the former the president of the Texas Spine Society and a diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He's also a member of the North American Spine Society, American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China, Texas Medical Association, Texas Orthopaedic Association and Harris County Medical Society.
He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received the Dean's NIH Fellowship for Medical Student Research and The Warner-Lambert Fellowship for Medical Study in Taiwan. Dr. Meyer completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He then completed a spine fellowship at the Kenton D. Leatherman Spine Program in Kentucky, where his focus was on scoliosis and spinal deformities.
More Articles on Spine Leaders:
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Bernard Rawlins of the Hospital for Special Surgery
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Gary Steinberg of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Ivan Cheng of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Christoph Meyer of Houston Orthopedic & Spine HospitalWritten by Heather Linder | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 18:10
Christoph Meyer, MD, is a spine surgeon at the Houston Orthopedic & Spine Hospital and a faculty member at the University of Texas.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 minimally invasive spine devices to know
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- 334 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- Dr. Richard Rooney pleads guilty to undisclosed financial interest, sentenced to prison: 5 things to know
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Stryker recalls 16k+ units of orthopedic products: 5 takeaways
- The future of private practice: Key thoughts from OrthoCarolina CEO Dr. Daniel Murrey
- 5 trends putting the squeeze on surgical practices
- MIS, stem cells, biologics & more: What excites spine surgeons most about the current landscape?
- Transparency in healthcare can work today — Hoag Orthopedic Institute proves it
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Drs. Troy Caron, Raj Kakarlapudi, Jeff Martin join Laser Spine's surgery centers: 5 key points
- Global spine surgery device market seeing double-digit growth: 5 key points
- The theory behind Geisinger's spine surgery refund
- 8 surprising topics your spine patients are researching
- The ICD-10 deadline is almost upon us — Are spine surgeons ready?
- 5 key trends on Massachusetts physician pay — And what it means for US physicians
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Q2 financials: 150 things to know about NuVasive, Stryker, J&J Orthopedics & more
- 5 trends in the medical tourism market
- 10 statistics on neurosurgeon salaries & bonuses
- 10 key notes on the 2016 CMS physician fee schedule
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Intersecting care of spine pain specialists & spine surgeons: Drs. Heidi Prather & Scott Glaser talk pain
- Rothman Institute merges with OrthopaediCare; adds 17 physicians: 4 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- Alphatec Spine, LDR, Globus Medical & more — 21 key notes
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- Is PEEK cost-effective for spinal surgery? 5 things to know
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- ProDisc-C vs. spinal fusion: Which has better results? 5 key notes