His specialties include cervical fusion for treatment of disc disease, degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis, trauma and reconstruction, lumbar and thoracic decompression and fusion, deformity, and more. His surgical philosophy is conservative care for most spine problems.
Dr. Meyer has contributed to developing new techniques and instrumentation for minimally invasive fusions. He is among the first surgeons to perform lumbar disc replacements.
Dr. Meyer also performs arthrodesis, bursectomy, disc fusion, fracture repair, kyphoplasty, traumatic injury repair and X-stop spinal surgery.
He is the former the president of the Texas Spine Society and a diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He's also a member of the North American Spine Society, American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China, Texas Medical Association, Texas Orthopaedic Association and Harris County Medical Society.
He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received the Dean's NIH Fellowship for Medical Student Research and The Warner-Lambert Fellowship for Medical Study in Taiwan. Dr. Meyer completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He then completed a spine fellowship at the Kenton D. Leatherman Spine Program in Kentucky, where his focus was on scoliosis and spinal deformities.
More Articles on Spine Leaders:
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Bernard Rawlins of the Hospital for Special Surgery
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Gary Steinberg of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Ivan Cheng of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Christoph Meyer of Houston Orthopedic & Spine HospitalWritten by Heather Linder | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 18:10
Christoph Meyer, MD, is a spine surgeon at the Houston Orthopedic & Spine Hospital and a faculty member at the University of Texas.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 5 key points on Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush's bundled payments making healthcare affordable & transparent
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- 'Spare the scalpel' — Dr. Brian Cole sheds light on the future of orthopedic medicine in TEDx Talk
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- How did 5 orthopedic device giants fare in the most recent fiscal period? 45 notes on Stryker, Medtronic & more
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR