His specialties include cervical fusion for treatment of disc disease, degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis, trauma and reconstruction, lumbar and thoracic decompression and fusion, deformity, and more. His surgical philosophy is conservative care for most spine problems.
Dr. Meyer has contributed to developing new techniques and instrumentation for minimally invasive fusions. He is among the first surgeons to perform lumbar disc replacements.
Dr. Meyer also performs arthrodesis, bursectomy, disc fusion, fracture repair, kyphoplasty, traumatic injury repair and X-stop spinal surgery.
He is the former the president of the Texas Spine Society and a diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He's also a member of the North American Spine Society, American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China, Texas Medical Association, Texas Orthopaedic Association and Harris County Medical Society.
He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received the Dean's NIH Fellowship for Medical Student Research and The Warner-Lambert Fellowship for Medical Study in Taiwan. Dr. Meyer completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He then completed a spine fellowship at the Kenton D. Leatherman Spine Program in Kentucky, where his focus was on scoliosis and spinal deformities.
More Articles on Spine Leaders:
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Bernard Rawlins of the Hospital for Special Surgery
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Gary Steinberg of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Ivan Cheng of Stanford University Medical Center
Spine Surgeon Leader to Know: Dr. Christoph Meyer of Houston Orthopedic & Spine HospitalWritten by Heather Linder | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 18:10
Christoph Meyer, MD, is a spine surgeon at the Houston Orthopedic & Spine Hospital and a faculty member at the University of Texas.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield now covers 2-Level disc replacement with Zimmer Biomet's Mobi-C
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights