Former office manager of a Columbus, Ohio, pain clinic Charlene Breedlove-Jones recently received a 10 year, 10 month sentence in federal prison for illegally distributing prescriptions to people from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia. She pled guilty to the charges of conspiracy to distribute controlled substances, healthcare fraud and identify theft. The clinic's owner Dannette Hawthorne also pled guilty to similar charges and will face sentencing next month.
John A. Gianoli III, MD, a Largo, Fla.-based internist focusing on pain management, has been indicted on federal charges of illegally prescribing Oxycodone. The U.S. Attorney's Office has accused him of writing illegal prescriptions five times, but does not mention the amount prescribed.
Former high school wrestler and ringleader of a network illegally distributing Oxycodone pills and other painkillers in Delaware, Michael Griffith, has been sentence to four and a half years in prison. Under his leadership, the network distributed tens of thousands of pain pills through a Florida pharmacy connection.
Minneapolis-based Hennepin County Medical Center nurse Bobbie Lee Beck has been charged with stealing Oxycodone from at least three patients at the hospital for personal use.
New York physician Pravin V. Mehta, MD, has been charged with illegally dispensing controlled drugs, primarily pain medications such as Oxycodone and hydrocodone. He allegedly signed blank prescription forms and directed his staff to fill them out in his absence.
In a Maine federal court, Florida couple Raymond Romero and Vashti Ramcharitar received four years and three months in prison for admitting they were a part of a conspiracy to mail prescription painkillers to post office boxes in Searsport, Maine. The couple mailed 50-100 tablets of prescription painkillers to Searsport every two to three weeks.
Sarasota, Fla.-based Suncoast Pain Management nurse Lori Kough has been charged with 34 counts of prescription drug fraud and one count of Oxycodone trafficking. She allegedly forged prescriptions and verified to the pharmacy that a physician had written them. She obtained approximately 7,900 pills through this method and was paid $300 per prescription.
Three federal Transportation Security Administration officers have been charged with accepting bribes to help smuggle Oxycodone through airports in Florida and New York. The officials were allegedly bribed with cash and gift cards to allow thousands of Oxycodone pills through airport security in flights between the two cities. In total, 20 people were arrested connected to the case.
Las Vegas family physician Henri Wetselaar, MD, his assistant David Litwin and pharmacist Jason C. Smith have been indicted on charges of conspiracy to illegally distribute Oxycodone. The indictment charges that Dr. Wetselaar and Mr. Litwin wrote illegal prescriptions for drugs to patients who they knew didn't medically need them. The patients were then directed to Mr. Smith's pharmacy.
Eight people were recently accused of running a fraudulent diagnostic testing scheme out of World Health Care in Redford, Mich., and Wyoming Medical Centers in East Lansing, Mich., which generated $2 million. Medicare beneficiaries were allegedly funneled to Russell Crispell, DO, employed by World Health Care, before undergoing medically unnecessary tests in order to receive an Oxycontin prescription, which was sold for further distribution.
Related Articles on Pain Management:
HMO Targets Overprescription of Opioids
New California Law Makes Pain Management Practice Easier
Dr. Jay Joshi: Lower Healthcare Spending on Back Pain by Using MRI Appropriately
10 Recent Cases of Illegal Pain Medication Distribution and UseWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 13 October 2011 15:56
Here are 10 cases of alleged illegal pain medication use and distribution in the news over the past two months.Last modified on Monday, 17 October 2011 13:43
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- 5 largest orthopedic companies have 61% of market share
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Dr. Jonathan Falakassa joins Southern California Orthopedic Institute: 5 key notes
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- Medtronic, Stryker and Smith & Nephew dominate MIS instruments market — 6 observations
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- 'Surgery is like comfort food for my soul' — Dr. Thomas Scully on being a neurosurgeon in an evolving landscape
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- An innovation powerhouse — Techstars Healthcare Accelerator in partnership with Cedars-Sinai brings health startups' visions to fruition
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 8 trends impacting the global sports medicine devices market through 2019
- 5 key statistics on young physician compensation — Orthopedics comes out on top at $329k
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield now covers 2-Level disc replacement with Zimmer Biomet's Mobi-C