The committee's goal is to identify critical gaps in basic and clinical research on the symptoms, causes and treatment of pain and to recommend federal research programs in these areas. Story Landis, PhD, director of NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke will chair the committee. Members will serve overlapping three-year terms. The committee is expected to meet at least once a year, and the first meeting is schedule for March 27. A complete list of committee members follows.
Federal agency representatives:
• Martha J. Somerman, DDS, PhD, director of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, part of the NIH.
• Charles G. Helmick III, MD, senior medical epidemiologist with the Arthritis Program at the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, part of the CDC.
• Audrey N. Kusiak, PhD, portfolio manager in the Rehabilitation Research and Development Service at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Research and Development
• Bob Andrew Rappaport, MD, director of the Division of Anesthesia, Analgesia and Addiction Products in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research of the FDA
• Richard Ricciardi, PhD, health scientist in the Center for Primary Care, Prevention and Clinical Partnerships at HHS' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and a pediatric and family nurse practitioner
• Maj. Gen. Richard W. Thomas, MD, DDS, commanding general, Western Region Medical Command
Non-federal researchers appointed to the committee are:
• Ronald Dubner, DDS, PhD, professor at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Baltimore
• Carmen R. Green, MD, professor of anesthesiology, obstetrics and gynecology, and health management and policy at the University of Michigan's schools of Medicine and Public Health, Ann Arbor.
• Sean Mackey, MD, PhD, chief of the Division of Pain Management and associate professor of anesthesiology, neurosciences and neurology at Stanford University School of Medicine
• Christine A. Miaskowski, RN, PhD, an American Cancer Society clinical research professor and the associate dean for academic affairs at the University of California San Francisco School of Nursing and the Sharon A. Lamb Endowed Chair in Symptom Management Research in the Department of Physiological Nursing
• Michael A. Moskowitz, MD, professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School affiliated with the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Science and Technology, Boston
• Wally R. Smith, MD, professor and chairman of the Division of Quality Health Care and scientific director for the Center on Health Disparities at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Appointees from public advocacy organizations:
• Terrie Cowley, president and co-founder of the TMJ Association, Milwaukee
• Elizabeth B. Gilbertson, chief of strategy for Unite Here Health, Aurora, Ill.
• Tamara K. Liller, president of the National Fibromyalgia Partnership, Linden, Va.
• Tina M. Tockarshewsky, president and chief executive officer of The Neuropathy Association, New York City
• Mary Vargas, JD, chair of the board of directors for the American Pain Foundation, Baltimore, and partner at Stein & Vargas, LLP
• Christin Veasley, executive director for the National Vulvodynia Association, Silver Spring, Md.
Related Articles on Pain Management:
The Future of Evidence-Based Medicine in Pain Management: Q&A With Dr. Laxmaiah Manchikanti of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
FDA Approves Medasys Implantable Programmable Drug Pump for Pain Management
10 Trends in ASC Pain Management Case Revenue Based on Facility Size From 2007-2010
NIH Announces Members of Interagency Pain Research Coordinating CommitteeWritten by Abby Callard | Monday, 13 February 2012 20:37
The National Institutes of Health announced the members of the Interagency Pain Research Coordinating Committee, which was created by a directive from Congress through the Affordable Care Act, according to a NIH news release.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 5 largest orthopedic companies have 61% of market share
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- 8 spine codes CMS proposes for ASC coverage in 2017
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Dr. Jonathan Falakassa joins Southern California Orthopedic Institute: 5 key notes
- Medtronic, Stryker and Smith & Nephew dominate MIS instruments market — 6 observations
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- 'Surgery is like comfort food for my soul' — Dr. Thomas Scully on being a neurosurgeon in an evolving landscape
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- An innovation powerhouse — Techstars Healthcare Accelerator in partnership with Cedars-Sinai brings health startups' visions to fruition
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 8 trends impacting the global sports medicine devices market through 2019