The committee's goal is to identify critical gaps in basic and clinical research on the symptoms, causes and treatment of pain and to recommend federal research programs in these areas. Story Landis, PhD, director of NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke will chair the committee. Members will serve overlapping three-year terms. The committee is expected to meet at least once a year, and the first meeting is schedule for March 27. A complete list of committee members follows.
Federal agency representatives:
• Martha J. Somerman, DDS, PhD, director of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, part of the NIH.
• Charles G. Helmick III, MD, senior medical epidemiologist with the Arthritis Program at the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, part of the CDC.
• Audrey N. Kusiak, PhD, portfolio manager in the Rehabilitation Research and Development Service at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Research and Development
• Bob Andrew Rappaport, MD, director of the Division of Anesthesia, Analgesia and Addiction Products in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research of the FDA
• Richard Ricciardi, PhD, health scientist in the Center for Primary Care, Prevention and Clinical Partnerships at HHS' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and a pediatric and family nurse practitioner
• Maj. Gen. Richard W. Thomas, MD, DDS, commanding general, Western Region Medical Command
Non-federal researchers appointed to the committee are:
• Ronald Dubner, DDS, PhD, professor at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Baltimore
• Carmen R. Green, MD, professor of anesthesiology, obstetrics and gynecology, and health management and policy at the University of Michigan's schools of Medicine and Public Health, Ann Arbor.
• Sean Mackey, MD, PhD, chief of the Division of Pain Management and associate professor of anesthesiology, neurosciences and neurology at Stanford University School of Medicine
• Christine A. Miaskowski, RN, PhD, an American Cancer Society clinical research professor and the associate dean for academic affairs at the University of California San Francisco School of Nursing and the Sharon A. Lamb Endowed Chair in Symptom Management Research in the Department of Physiological Nursing
• Michael A. Moskowitz, MD, professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School affiliated with the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Science and Technology, Boston
• Wally R. Smith, MD, professor and chairman of the Division of Quality Health Care and scientific director for the Center on Health Disparities at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Appointees from public advocacy organizations:
• Terrie Cowley, president and co-founder of the TMJ Association, Milwaukee
• Elizabeth B. Gilbertson, chief of strategy for Unite Here Health, Aurora, Ill.
• Tamara K. Liller, president of the National Fibromyalgia Partnership, Linden, Va.
• Tina M. Tockarshewsky, president and chief executive officer of The Neuropathy Association, New York City
• Mary Vargas, JD, chair of the board of directors for the American Pain Foundation, Baltimore, and partner at Stein & Vargas, LLP
• Christin Veasley, executive director for the National Vulvodynia Association, Silver Spring, Md.
Related Articles on Pain Management:
The Future of Evidence-Based Medicine in Pain Management: Q&A With Dr. Laxmaiah Manchikanti of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
FDA Approves Medasys Implantable Programmable Drug Pump for Pain Management
10 Trends in ASC Pain Management Case Revenue Based on Facility Size From 2007-2010
NIH Announces Members of Interagency Pain Research Coordinating CommitteeWritten by Abby Callard | Monday, 13 February 2012 20:37
The National Institutes of Health announced the members of the Interagency Pain Research Coordinating Committee, which was created by a directive from Congress through the Affordable Care Act, according to a NIH news release.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Grand jury indicts troubled Texas spine surgeon — 5 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- 23 statistics for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth & more
- Brigham and Women's Hospital names Dr. James Kang orthopedics chairman: 6 key facts
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market
- The future of orthopedics: ACOs, bundled payments, gain-sharing & the advantage in change
- Cleveland Clinic standardizes to 2 implant vendors, at least one orthopedic surgeon out
- 22 things to know about Stryker
- 15 things to know about Smith & Nephew
- Spine surgery in a value-based world: Dr. Jed Vanichkachorn on spine bundled payments
- The endless possibilities in spine biologics, artificial disc & outpatient procedures
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Reilly's whistleblower lawsuit results in $69M+ penalty for Broward Health — 7 things to know
- Surface technology for spine devices: Key trends & concepts
- Hospital employment vs. independent practice: 5 spine surgeons weigh in
- Becker's Spine Review Channels
- 5 things to know about physician assistant pay
- Current annual & hourly salary rates for orthopedic surgeons: 8 statistics
- 7 trends in the $850M bone graft substitute market
- Surgeon Scorecard — Good or bad for spine? 5 things to know
- Did this orthopedic surgeon let his PA perform surgery? Dr. Munir Uwaydah faces conspiracy, $150M fraud & aggravated mayhem charges: 6 key notes
- 3rd spinal cord injury patient with InVivo's Neuro-Spinal Scaffold improving: 5 key updates
- Former OtisMed CEO gets 2 years in prison in knee device scandal — 5 key notes
- Dr. Sang-Ho Lee awarded Parviz Kambin award for endoscopic spine surgery at NASS meeting: 5 highlights
- 15 things to know about physician shortages
- Renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert Small dies in bicycle crash — 4 things to know
- NYU Langone welcomes Dr. R. Shay Bess as head of adult spinal deformity: 7 key notes
- Zimmer-Biomet $14B merger finally complete — 6 things to know
- Spinal fusion after 10 years: 5 key notes on adjacent segment disease
- Physician stabbed in Virginia leaving clinic — Attacker wanted more pain meds