Here are five things to know:
1. South Carolina-based hospitals had the opportunity to participate in a voluntary statewide program which implemented WHO's Surgical Safety Checklist.
2. Post-surgical deaths were reduced by 22 percent in14 participating hospitals.
3. The 19-item checklist implements an operating room communication culture to improve surgical care and safety throughout the surgical process.
4. Orthopedic surgery, neurological and cardiac specialties were among those included in the report.
5. The Safe Surgery South Carolina Program is part of a 12-step implementation program to optimize surgery.
More articles on practice management:
Danbury Orthopedics opens 40,000-sq.-ft. facility: 3 key notes