Here are five things to know:
1. Male physician assistants earn a median base salary of $105,000 from primary clinical employers while female PAs earn $94,000.
2. Men earn the most after practicing as PAs for 15 years to 19, at which point their annual salaries are roughly $115,000.
3. Women earn the most after working as PAs for at least 20 years, when they earn roughly $110,000 annually.
4. Male PAs earn the most when working in surgical subspecialties ($110,000 median base salary) while female PAs earn the most when working in emergency medicine ($99,600 median base salary).
5. The authors recommend PAs seek accurate compensation information and come in ready to negotiate a contract to reduce compensation disparities.
More articles on practice management:
2017 Residency Match Day hits record high with nearly 36k US & international applicants — 5 highlights