1. Document any instruction.
2. Keep a record of every fax confirmation.
3. Triple check patients to avoid making a premature death pronouncement.
4. Hospitals should approve the physicians giving telephone consultations.
5. Provide patients with information about all possible drug side effects, even the improbable.
More Articles on Practice Management:
5 Statistics on Small Business in the United States
5 Hints for Successfully Selling a Physician Practice
10 Factors Contributing to Damaged Physician Satisfaction
5 Ways to Avoid Potential & Unexpected Medical LawsuitsWritten by Heather Linder | Tuesday, 31 December 2013 17:45
Physicians are always at risk for litigation from the unexpected, but five simple steps can be taken to avoid many potential lawsuits, according to a Medscape report.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- Orthopedic bundled payments: 5 key thoughts on NYU Langone Medical Center’s better outcomes & lower costs
- 7 things every orthopedic surgeon should know about registries
- Future of orthopedics: 4 experts on a value-based world
- Ascension to close Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital/Wisconsin Heart Hospital: 6 things to know
- OREF names Dr. David Lewallen president: 4 notes
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 341 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Is the Johnson & Johnson job cut an ominous sign for the medical device industry? 5 key thoughts
- Smith & Nephew acquires Blue Belt Technologies — Will Stryker make its move soon? 5 key notes
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 5 most common reasons orthopedic surgeons are sued
- Looking ahead to 2016: What excites spine surgeons most?
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- Orthopedic surgeon salary in the UK, Canada & Australia: 4 key notes
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- NuVasive acquires Ellipse Technologies for $380M: 7 key notes
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know