1. Average orthopedic surgeon compensation is $501,808.
2. Average compensation for a joint replacement specialist is $503,809.
3. Average orthopedic spine surgeon compensation is $677,158.
4. Average pediatric orthopedic surgeon compensation is $435,318.
5. Average compensation for orthopedic hand surgeons is $476,384.
6. Average compensation for orthopedic surgeons in a multispecialty group practice is $340,000.
7. Average compensation for orthopedic surgeons in a single-specialty group practice is $391,000.
8. Average orthopedic surgeon compensation in a hospital setting is $251,000.
9. Around 19 percent of orthopedic surgeons make $100,000 or less.
10. Around 46 percent of orthopedic surgeons would prefer a pay-for-performance model over bundled payments and shared savings arrangements.
More Articles on Orthopedic Surgeons:
Dr. James Andrews Performs Knee Surgery on Celtics Point Guard Rajon Rondo
24 Spine Surgeons Discuss Most Exciting Trends for the Future
10 New Orthopedic Practice Expansions & Mergers
10 Compensation Statistics for Orthopedic Surgeons FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Tuesday, 19 February 2013 17:29
Here are 10 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation. Numbers one through five came from the AMGA Medical Group Compensation and Financial Survey; numbers six through nine came from the 2012 Medscape Orthopedist and Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation Report; number 10 came from the 2012 LocumTenens.com Compensation & Employment Report.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- 5 key statistics on young physician compensation — Orthopedics comes out on top at $329k
- Twin Cities Orthopedics to add 50k-sq.-ft. clinic in Woodbury, MN: 5 things to know
- How telemedicine services improve overnight care: 6 takeaways
- Why is patient experience so important for the future of healthcare? 6 thoughts
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 5 key points on Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush's bundled payments making healthcare affordable & transparent
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- 'Spare the scalpel' — Dr. Brian Cole sheds light on the future of orthopedic medicine in TEDx Talk
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes