1. Average income for orthopedic surgeons was $315,000 — a decline from 2010.
2. 30 percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a compensation increase, compared to 36 percent who said their income decreased from 2010 to 2011.
3. Male orthopedic surgeons received $86,000 more on average than female orthopedic surgeons.
4. Orthopedic surgeons in the western region of the country received the highest average compensation, at $350,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons in the northeast part of the country earned the lowest compensation, at $303,000 on average.
6. The highest compensating practice setting was a hospital organization, which compensated at $427,000 on average.
7. The lowest average compensation came for orthopedic surgeons in academic settings, who received around $225,000.
8. 50 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel they are fairly compensated; 50 percent believe they are not.
9. 38 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel accountable care organizations will cause their income to decline.
10. 47 percent of orthopedic surgeons said they don’t feel rich because of their expenses and debt.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
8 Steps to Optimize Spine Practice Revenue in 2013
8 Experts on Most Important Areas for Spine Research
12 Spine Surgeons Researching Disc Regeneration
10 Points on Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 18:19
Here are 10 points on orthopedic surgeon compensation based on the Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012, based on 2011 data.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- Medicare episode expenditures for joint replacement decline 20.8% following CJR: 5 study insights
- Low back, neck pain spending increases by $57.2B over 18 years: 5 things to know
- 5 key notes on medical malpractice
- 10 most popular orthopedic stories of 2016
- OrthoArizona-Arizona Orthopaedic Associates opens 2 new locations: 5 key notes
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- Medtronic, SeaSpine, Zimmer Biomet & more: 17 key notes
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- UCLA pays $8.5M to settle 2 lawsuits after undisclosed spine surgeon relationship with Medtronic: 5 key notes
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- 5 largest orthopedic companies have 61% of market share
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- 8 spine codes CMS proposes for ASC coverage in 2017
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- Dr. Jonathan Falakassa joins Southern California Orthopedic Institute: 5 key notes
- The role of the surgical microscope in modern MIS spine — Drs. K.D. Riew, Michael Mayer, Roger Härtl & Mohd Hisam Muhamad Ariffin share their experiences
- Beyond oral opioids — Spinal cord stimulators, targeted drug delivery & the future of pain management