1. Average income for orthopedic surgeons was $315,000 — a decline from 2010.
2. 30 percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a compensation increase, compared to 36 percent who said their income decreased from 2010 to 2011.
3. Male orthopedic surgeons received $86,000 more on average than female orthopedic surgeons.
4. Orthopedic surgeons in the western region of the country received the highest average compensation, at $350,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons in the northeast part of the country earned the lowest compensation, at $303,000 on average.
6. The highest compensating practice setting was a hospital organization, which compensated at $427,000 on average.
7. The lowest average compensation came for orthopedic surgeons in academic settings, who received around $225,000.
8. 50 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel they are fairly compensated; 50 percent believe they are not.
9. 38 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel accountable care organizations will cause their income to decline.
10. 47 percent of orthopedic surgeons said they don’t feel rich because of their expenses and debt.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
8 Steps to Optimize Spine Practice Revenue in 2013
8 Experts on Most Important Areas for Spine Research
12 Spine Surgeons Researching Disc Regeneration
10 Points on Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 18:19
Here are 10 points on orthopedic surgeon compensation based on the Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012, based on 2011 data.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- 6 key points on physician compensation: 2015-2016 — Administrative payments up 25%
- Orthopedic surgeon participation in alternate payment models — 2015 vs. 2016: 4 notes
- Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush offers packaged pricing: 6 things to know
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 336 spine surgeons to know — 2016
- Rumors of a Stryker acquisition of Smith & Nephew swirl once again: 6 key notes
- Google and Johnson & Johnson to form new surgical company — 4 highlights
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Did Loma Linda's orthopedic device rep-less strategy work? 5 things to know
- 5 huge reputation management mistakes for surgeons
- Stryker director sells 18k shares, following Smith & Nephew acquisition rumors: 7 points
- Smith & Nephew acquires Blue Belt Technologies — Will Stryker make its move soon? 5 key notes
- Is the Johnson & Johnson job cut an ominous sign for the medical device industry? 5 key thoughts
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- Population health on a budget: How one orthopedic surgeon succeeded in Chicago's most impoverished neighborhoods
- 10 Things to know about the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement (CJR) Model
- Looking ahead to 2016: What excites spine surgeons most?
- 5 most common reasons orthopedic surgeons are sued
- 32 hospitals to pay $28M in spine surgery false claims settlement: 5 things to know
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- North Carolina physician group creates orthopedic bundled payment system — 5 takeaways
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Dr. Robert Blok joins Laser Spine Institute — 4 key points
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- From cost to patient care — The many ways orthopedic bundled payments help hospitals
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- Orthopedics and spine — 6 trends for 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016