1. Average income for orthopedic surgeons was $315,000 — a decline from 2010.
2. 30 percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a compensation increase, compared to 36 percent who said their income decreased from 2010 to 2011.
3. Male orthopedic surgeons received $86,000 more on average than female orthopedic surgeons.
4. Orthopedic surgeons in the western region of the country received the highest average compensation, at $350,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons in the northeast part of the country earned the lowest compensation, at $303,000 on average.
6. The highest compensating practice setting was a hospital organization, which compensated at $427,000 on average.
7. The lowest average compensation came for orthopedic surgeons in academic settings, who received around $225,000.
8. 50 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel they are fairly compensated; 50 percent believe they are not.
9. 38 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel accountable care organizations will cause their income to decline.
10. 47 percent of orthopedic surgeons said they don’t feel rich because of their expenses and debt.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
8 Steps to Optimize Spine Practice Revenue in 2013
8 Experts on Most Important Areas for Spine Research
12 Spine Surgeons Researching Disc Regeneration
10 Points on Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 18:19
Here are 10 points on orthopedic surgeon compensation based on the Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012, based on 2011 data.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Zimmer, Medtronic lead global orthopedics now — 8 key notes on where they're headed
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- 20 Spine Surgeon Leadership Awards | 2015
- 25 Spine Device Awards | 2015
- A differentiated approach in lateral spine surgery: Oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF at L2-L5)
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- Top 10 specialties with highest pay — Orthopedists lead the pack
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Dr. Neal ElAttrache to perform Manny Pacquiao's shoulder surgery: 5 things to know
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine neurological surgery chief Dr. Andrew Parsa dies
- Spinal fusion vs. disc replacement: Which costs more? 5 key notes
- Zimmer Q1 sales drop 2.3%, Biomet merger still not final — 10 things to know
- How The CORE Institute grew 40% last quarter — IT leads the way
- Is Smith & Nephew's cost-conscious strategy working? 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- How high-energy spine surgeons start their day — 5 things to know
- Grand jury indicts troubled Texas spine surgeon — 5 key notes
- 5 statistics on orthopedic surgeon net worth
- Spinal deformity surgery — On the cutting edge with Drs. Isador Lieberman, Suken Shah
- Cervical disc replacement Mobi-C vs. spinal fusion: Are there advantages to one? 6 key notes
- Patient sues troubled orthopedic surgeon for malpractice — 7 things to know
- 23 statistics for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth & more
- Hospital for Special Surgery names Dr. Frank Schwab spine service chief — 5 things to know
- 10 trends in the spinal fusion market
- 8 ways to improve your patient experience
- Brigham and Women's Hospital names Dr. James Kang orthopedics chairman: 6 key facts
- The future of orthopedics: ACOs, bundled payments, gain-sharing & the advantage in change
- 8 reasons why things are looking up for Amedica
- Minimally invasive spine surgery — Current trends & topics
- The best vacation spots for spine surgeons
- Spine surgery in a value-based world: Dr. Jed Vanichkachorn on spine bundled payments
- Hospital employment vs. independent practice: 5 spine surgeons weigh in
- 22 things to know about Stryker