1. Average income for orthopedic surgeons was $315,000 — a decline from 2010.
2. 30 percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a compensation increase, compared to 36 percent who said their income decreased from 2010 to 2011.
3. Male orthopedic surgeons received $86,000 more on average than female orthopedic surgeons.
4. Orthopedic surgeons in the western region of the country received the highest average compensation, at $350,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons in the northeast part of the country earned the lowest compensation, at $303,000 on average.
6. The highest compensating practice setting was a hospital organization, which compensated at $427,000 on average.
7. The lowest average compensation came for orthopedic surgeons in academic settings, who received around $225,000.
8. 50 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel they are fairly compensated; 50 percent believe they are not.
9. 38 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel accountable care organizations will cause their income to decline.
10. 47 percent of orthopedic surgeons said they don’t feel rich because of their expenses and debt.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
8 Steps to Optimize Spine Practice Revenue in 2013
8 Experts on Most Important Areas for Spine Research
12 Spine Surgeons Researching Disc Regeneration
10 Points on Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 18:19
Here are 10 points on orthopedic surgeon compensation based on the Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012, based on 2011 data.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- Yearlong investigation finds 2.4k+ physicians sanctioned for sexually abusing patients: 8 things to know
- EHRs may yield higher malpractice risk: 6 key points
- Will the 2017 CMS payment update mean more independent practices?
- Leading orthopedic surgeons into a value-based world — Ortech Systems' VP of sales & marketing Michael Barr on patient-reported outcomes
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Should medical device companies advertise direct to consumers?
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics