1. Average income for orthopedic surgeons was $315,000 — a decline from 2010.
2. 30 percent of orthopedic surgeons reported a compensation increase, compared to 36 percent who said their income decreased from 2010 to 2011.
3. Male orthopedic surgeons received $86,000 more on average than female orthopedic surgeons.
4. Orthopedic surgeons in the western region of the country received the highest average compensation, at $350,000.
5. Orthopedic surgeons in the northeast part of the country earned the lowest compensation, at $303,000 on average.
6. The highest compensating practice setting was a hospital organization, which compensated at $427,000 on average.
7. The lowest average compensation came for orthopedic surgeons in academic settings, who received around $225,000.
8. 50 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel they are fairly compensated; 50 percent believe they are not.
9. 38 percent of orthopedic surgeons feel accountable care organizations will cause their income to decline.
10. 47 percent of orthopedic surgeons said they don’t feel rich because of their expenses and debt.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
8 Steps to Optimize Spine Practice Revenue in 2013
8 Experts on Most Important Areas for Spine Research
12 Spine Surgeons Researching Disc Regeneration
10 Points on Orthopedic Surgeon Compensation FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 18:19
Here are 10 points on orthopedic surgeon compensation based on the Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012, based on 2011 data.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- Can orthopedic surgeons withstand the changing value-based healthcare system?
- What percentage of spine surgeons will have ASC ownership in 5 years?
- Reimbursement, opportunities & more — Dr. Charles Bush-Joseph's key thoughts on orthopedics in the future
- Where cutting-edge spine practices turn for additional revenue
- Carilion Clinic converting grocery store into $15M orthopedics, spine institute — 5 key notes
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 12 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2015
- North American Spine brings in two new procedures — 5 things to know
- Drs. Larry Lenke, Daniel Riew, Ronald Lehman leaving St. Louis for NYC — 5 things to know
- DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Zimmer, Medtronic lead global orthopedics now — 8 key notes on where they're headed
- Bundled spine surgery for Walmart, Lowe's employees — 6 things to know
- Medtronic is headed for strong 2015 — 8 reasons why
- 5 key trends in 3D printing medical device market
- 25 Spine Device Awards | 2015
- 20 Spine Surgeon Leadership Awards | 2015
- 15 things to know about Zimmer Biomet
- Neurosurgeon named in counterfeit spinal implant lawsuit — 5 things to know
- 10 spine, orthopedic surgeon tech entrepreneurs to know
- A differentiated approach in lateral spine surgery: Oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF at L2-L5)
- Top 10 specialties with highest pay — Orthopedists lead the pack
- Zimmer voluntarily recalls knee device
- Safeguards to Prevent Neurologic Complications after Epidural Steroid Injections: Analysis of Evidence and Lack of Applicability of Controversial Policies
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google
- Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine neurological surgery chief Dr. Andrew Parsa dies
- Are 'macho' orthopedic surgeons a hazard to patients? 5 things to know
- Dr. Aria Sabit pleads guilty to unnecessary spine surgery, faces 11+ years in prison — 5 things to know
- Is the Zimmer-Biomet closed merger finally around the corner? 5 things to know
- Dr. Neal ElAttrache to perform Manny Pacquiao's shoulder surgery: 5 things to know
- Spinal fusion vs. disc replacement: Which costs more? 5 key notes
- Another spine surgeon named in "fake implants" lawsuit — This time in Maryland: 5 key notes
- Medtronic pays 8 physicians $1M+: 5 key notes
- Building an empire: How Dr. Douglas Won created a physician-led health system
- Dr. Sanjay Khurana helps rescue Harrison Ford from crashed air plane
- Zimmer Q1 sales drop 2.3%, Biomet merger still not final — 10 things to know
- How The CORE Institute grew 40% last quarter — IT leads the way
- 55 statistics and issues for neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons — compensation, global device market and more
- Is Smith & Nephew's cost-conscious strategy working? 5 key notes
- UPMC's Dr. Tanya Hagen dies at age 45
- Hospitals face 4 lawsuits in connection with unnecessary spine surgeries case — 6 things to know
- Johnson & Johnson (J&J) sells Cordis line for $1.9B: What it could mean for DePuy Synthes
- How high-energy spine surgeons start their day — 5 things to know
- Spinal deformity surgery — On the cutting edge with Drs. Isador Lieberman, Suken Shah
- Dr. Ziya Gokaslan to leave Johns Hopkins for Rhode Island Hospital
- Cervical disc replacement Mobi-C vs. spinal fusion: Are there advantages to one? 6 key notes
- Medtronic facing product liability lawsuit over Infuse once more: 9 things to know
- Hospital for Special Surgery names Dr. Frank Schwab spine service chief — 5 things to know