While the report found that orthopedic surgeons reached a cumulative earning of $10.7 million — far above lawyers ($8.3 million), certified registered nurse anesthetists ($7.3 million) and dentists ($6.8 million) — when controlling for the cost of training and hours worked, the total comes out considerably less.
According to the report, debt for orthopedic surgery students has increased by $34,000 for public schools and $40,000 in private schools over the past five years. Since 1984, the medical school tuition has raised in public institutions by 165 percent and in private institutions 312 percent.
At the same time, Medicare reimbursement has been on a downward trend for the past few years and managed care contracts are increasingly present in the market, which stagnates orthopedic surgeon salaries, according to the report. When hourly income was calculated, orthopedic surgeons received $88 per hour, compared to $130 for lawyers, $99 for dentists and $93 for nurse anesthetists.
Related Articles on Orthopedic Surgery:
Bartow Regional Medical Center Names Dr. Stuart Patterson Chief of Surgery
Dr. George Theodore Performs Ankle Surgery on Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski
Mental Health Impacts Joint Replacement Outcomes
Orthopedic Surgeon Hourly Pay Less Than Lawyers, DentistsWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 16 February 2012 17:08
A recent report comparing the salary of orthopedic surgeons to other professionals, such as dentists and lawyers, researchers found orthopedic surgery is less lucrative than the common perception of the profession, according to a Medscape report.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health open concierge spine center of excellence
- AMA vows to engage President-elect Donald Trump's administration on healthcare's future: 5 things to know
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- 34 latest trends in the global orthopedic devices market
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- Evolutionary vs. revolutionary: The future of surgical devices and spine surgery
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- UCLA pays $8.5M to settle 2 lawsuits after undisclosed spine surgeon relationship with Medtronic: 5 key notes
- Medtronic, SeaSpine, Zimmer Biomet & more: 17 key notes
- The efficacy of electrical bone stimulators & ultrasound for bone healing — Dr. Mohit Bhandari weighs in with new evidence