While the report found that orthopedic surgeons reached a cumulative earning of $10.7 million — far above lawyers ($8.3 million), certified registered nurse anesthetists ($7.3 million) and dentists ($6.8 million) — when controlling for the cost of training and hours worked, the total comes out considerably less.
According to the report, debt for orthopedic surgery students has increased by $34,000 for public schools and $40,000 in private schools over the past five years. Since 1984, the medical school tuition has raised in public institutions by 165 percent and in private institutions 312 percent.
At the same time, Medicare reimbursement has been on a downward trend for the past few years and managed care contracts are increasingly present in the market, which stagnates orthopedic surgeon salaries, according to the report. When hourly income was calculated, orthopedic surgeons received $88 per hour, compared to $130 for lawyers, $99 for dentists and $93 for nurse anesthetists.
Related Articles on Orthopedic Surgery:
Bartow Regional Medical Center Names Dr. Stuart Patterson Chief of Surgery
Dr. George Theodore Performs Ankle Surgery on Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski
Mental Health Impacts Joint Replacement Outcomes
Orthopedic Surgeon Hourly Pay Less Than Lawyers, DentistsWritten by Laura Dyrda | Thursday, 16 February 2012 17:08
A recent report comparing the salary of orthopedic surgeons to other professionals, such as dentists and lawyers, researchers found orthopedic surgery is less lucrative than the common perception of the profession, according to a Medscape report.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Improving Profits
- Where outpatient joint replacements are headed: Key thoughts from Dr. Keith Berend of Joint Implant Surgeons
- After 10+ years of practice in the US, 2 Houston neurologists from India told to leave
- Is physical therapy necessary after total knee replacement?
- Orthopedic surgeon compensation for 9 US regions — Great Lakes lead the way at $546k
- Massachusetts General Hospital and Healthwise create investigative program — 5 insights
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights
- What 6 sports medicine physicians wish they would've known at the beginning of their careers
- American College of Physicians releases new guidelines for treating low back pain: 5 key points
- 16 things to know about spinal fusions
- 40 statistics on spine surgeon and neurosurgeon pay
- Dr. Kenneth Pettine: Stem cell therapy is here to stay
- Dr. Christopher Duntsch sentenced to life in prison for injuring his patients: 5 key takeaways
- Titan Spine leads push for titanium interbody device resurgence through nanotechnology differentiation
- How 10 spine surgeons are preparing their practice for a Donald Trump presidency
- 5 reasons why spine care will boom in the next decade
- 10 things to know about Stryker
- The man behind the fraud — Who is Dr. Aria Sabit?
- 5 health IT predictions for 2017
- Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University & Jefferson Health open concierge spine center of excellence
- Drs. Frederick Boop, Michael Gleiber, F. Todd Wetzel & more: 90+ spine surgeons & neurosurgeons receiving honors in 2016
- DePuy Synthes earns FDA clearance for VIPER, EXPEDIUM screws: 5 highlights
- Henry Ford Health System drops out of Medicare bundled payments for joint replacement: 5 key notes