Kelton Burbank, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at HealthAlliance Hospital, was named president of the New England Orthopaedic Society. Dr. Burbank practices at North County Orthopedics in Leominster, Mass., and has a special interest in joint replacement surgery. He is also the Massachusetts representative to the council of delegates for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and orthopedic consultant for the University of Massachusetts Amherst men's hockey team.
Michael G. Ciccotti, MD, was named president of the Major League Baseball Team Physician Association for 2013. Dr. Ciccotti is the chief of sports medicine at Rothman Institute and head team physician for the Philadelphia Phillies. Dr. Ciccotti earned his medical degree at Georgetown University Medical School and completed his residency at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. His additional training includes a sports medicine fellowship at Kerlan-Jobe Sports Clinic in Los Angeles.
Mark Galland, MD, an orthopedic surgeon with Orthopaedic Specialists of North Carolina, was named medical director of the Barton College athletic program in Raleigh, N.C. Dr. Galland serves as team physician and orthopedic consultant for the Carolina Mudcats, an advanced A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. He earned his medical degree at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, where he also completed his residency. He is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Gordon I. Groh, MD, a board-certified shoulder, elbow and hand specialist, was named assistant editor for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Dr. Groh practices at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint in Asheville, N.C. He earned his medical degree at the University of Missouri and completed a fellowship in shoulder surgery at the University of Texas in San Antonio as well as a hand surgery fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
Sidney M. Jacoby, MD, was named chief of orthopedic surgery for Phoenixville (Pa.) Hospital and medical director of the hospital's Limerick Surgery Center. Dr. Jacoby has a special interest in hand surgery and was named a "Young Leader" in hand surgery by the American Association of Hand Surgery, according to the report. He is also an assistant professor at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he completed his residency and fellowship.
Jerald Katz, MD, an orthopedic surgeon, was named chief of orthopedics for Saint Anne's Hospital in Fall River, Mass. Dr. Katz is certified to perform MAKOplasty knee and hip procedures. He has been on the medical staff at the hospital since 1990 and is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Katz also serves as a clinical instructor at Brown University School of Medicine and Tufts University School of Medicine.
Matthew P. Melander, DO, an orthopedic surgeon, has been named medical director for the Missouri Monsters of the Ultimate Indoor Football League. Dr. Melander has a special interest in sports medicine and has served as team physician for high schools and universities. Dr. Melander completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Des Peres Hospital in St. Louis and a fellowship in sports medicine at the Methodist Sports Medicine Center and Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis.
Ronald A. Navarro, MD, a sports medicine physician, has been selected as the regional coordinating chief of orthopedic surgery for the Southern California Permanente Medical Group. Dr. Navarro earned his medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Harbor General-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, Calif. His additional training includes a joint replacement fellowship at UCLA Medical Center and a sports medicine fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Shane Nho, MD, a sports medicine specialist with Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, was named head team physician for the Roosevelt University Athletic Program in Chicago. Dr. Nho currently serves as head team physician for the Chicago Steel Hockey and a local high school team. He earned his medical degree at Rush Medical College and completed his residency at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. His additional training includes a sports medicine fellowship at Rush.
E. Scott Yerger, MD, was named medical director for the total joint subspecialty at Lafayette General Health System. In his new position, Dr. Yerger will develop clinical pathways and establish procedures and clinical progression protocols for orthopedic services. He earned his medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine and completed residencies at South Alabama and LSU Health Science Center. Dr. Yerger also completed a fellowship in adult reconstruction at Cleveland Clinic.
More Articles on Orthopedic Surgeons:
American Joint Replacement Registry Adds Michigan's Beaumont Health System
5 Key Concepts for Orthopedics Bundled Payments
Lubbock Christian University Appoints Dr. Kenneth Stephenson to Board of Trustees
10 Orthopedic Surgeons in New Leadership Positions FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 16 January 2013 22:29
Here are 10 orthopedic surgeons who recently assumed new leadership positions. If you would like to suggest additions to this list, please contact Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Should medical device companies advertise direct to consumers?
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Long Island physician faces drug charges following patient death — 5 things to know