Kelton Burbank, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at HealthAlliance Hospital, was named president of the New England Orthopaedic Society. Dr. Burbank practices at North County Orthopedics in Leominster, Mass., and has a special interest in joint replacement surgery. He is also the Massachusetts representative to the council of delegates for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and orthopedic consultant for the University of Massachusetts Amherst men's hockey team.
Michael G. Ciccotti, MD, was named president of the Major League Baseball Team Physician Association for 2013. Dr. Ciccotti is the chief of sports medicine at Rothman Institute and head team physician for the Philadelphia Phillies. Dr. Ciccotti earned his medical degree at Georgetown University Medical School and completed his residency at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. His additional training includes a sports medicine fellowship at Kerlan-Jobe Sports Clinic in Los Angeles.
Mark Galland, MD, an orthopedic surgeon with Orthopaedic Specialists of North Carolina, was named medical director of the Barton College athletic program in Raleigh, N.C. Dr. Galland serves as team physician and orthopedic consultant for the Carolina Mudcats, an advanced A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. He earned his medical degree at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, where he also completed his residency. He is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Gordon I. Groh, MD, a board-certified shoulder, elbow and hand specialist, was named assistant editor for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Dr. Groh practices at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint in Asheville, N.C. He earned his medical degree at the University of Missouri and completed a fellowship in shoulder surgery at the University of Texas in San Antonio as well as a hand surgery fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
Sidney M. Jacoby, MD, was named chief of orthopedic surgery for Phoenixville (Pa.) Hospital and medical director of the hospital's Limerick Surgery Center. Dr. Jacoby has a special interest in hand surgery and was named a "Young Leader" in hand surgery by the American Association of Hand Surgery, according to the report. He is also an assistant professor at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he completed his residency and fellowship.
Jerald Katz, MD, an orthopedic surgeon, was named chief of orthopedics for Saint Anne's Hospital in Fall River, Mass. Dr. Katz is certified to perform MAKOplasty knee and hip procedures. He has been on the medical staff at the hospital since 1990 and is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Katz also serves as a clinical instructor at Brown University School of Medicine and Tufts University School of Medicine.
Matthew P. Melander, DO, an orthopedic surgeon, has been named medical director for the Missouri Monsters of the Ultimate Indoor Football League. Dr. Melander has a special interest in sports medicine and has served as team physician for high schools and universities. Dr. Melander completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Des Peres Hospital in St. Louis and a fellowship in sports medicine at the Methodist Sports Medicine Center and Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis.
Ronald A. Navarro, MD, a sports medicine physician, has been selected as the regional coordinating chief of orthopedic surgery for the Southern California Permanente Medical Group. Dr. Navarro earned his medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Harbor General-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, Calif. His additional training includes a joint replacement fellowship at UCLA Medical Center and a sports medicine fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Shane Nho, MD, a sports medicine specialist with Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, was named head team physician for the Roosevelt University Athletic Program in Chicago. Dr. Nho currently serves as head team physician for the Chicago Steel Hockey and a local high school team. He earned his medical degree at Rush Medical College and completed his residency at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. His additional training includes a sports medicine fellowship at Rush.
E. Scott Yerger, MD, was named medical director for the total joint subspecialty at Lafayette General Health System. In his new position, Dr. Yerger will develop clinical pathways and establish procedures and clinical progression protocols for orthopedic services. He earned his medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine and completed residencies at South Alabama and LSU Health Science Center. Dr. Yerger also completed a fellowship in adult reconstruction at Cleveland Clinic.
More Articles on Orthopedic Surgeons:
American Joint Replacement Registry Adds Michigan's Beaumont Health System
5 Key Concepts for Orthopedics Bundled Payments
Lubbock Christian University Appoints Dr. Kenneth Stephenson to Board of Trustees
10 Orthopedic Surgeons in New Leadership Positions FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 16 January 2013 22:29
Here are 10 orthopedic surgeons who recently assumed new leadership positions. If you would like to suggest additions to this list, please contact Laura at email@example.com.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- 5 largest orthopedic companies have 61% of market share
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Dr. Jonathan Falakassa joins Southern California Orthopedic Institute: 5 key notes
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- Medtronic, Stryker and Smith & Nephew dominate MIS instruments market — 6 observations
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- 'Surgery is like comfort food for my soul' — Dr. Thomas Scully on being a neurosurgeon in an evolving landscape
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- An innovation powerhouse — Techstars Healthcare Accelerator in partnership with Cedars-Sinai brings health startups' visions to fruition
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- 8 trends impacting the global sports medicine devices market through 2019
- 5 key statistics on young physician compensation — Orthopedics comes out on top at $329k
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield now covers 2-Level disc replacement with Zimmer Biomet's Mobi-C
- What 6 sports medicine physicians wish they would've known at the beginning of their careers