The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Most Class II, as well as some Class I and III medical devices, must receive FDA 510(k) premarket notification prior to being sold commercially in the U.S. Half of the devices submitted for clearance in 2011 were orthopedic, cardiovascular, general and plastic surgery or radiology-related.
More Articles on Devices:
Spine Surgery Coverage for New Technology Post Healthcare Reform: Q&A With Dr. Gunnar Andersson of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush
Smith & Nephew Names Dr. Michael Friedman to Board of Directors
ulrich medical Markets Spinal Fixation System in US
FDA 510(k) Clearance Times Improved in 2011 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Friday, 22 February 2013 16:40
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011, according to Today's Medical Developments.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Devices & Implants
- 18 spine devices receives FDA 510(k) clearance in June
- Mesoblast's 24-month trial results for chronic low back pain released: 8 insights from the study on MPC injections
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- Stryker, Globus Medical, Zimmer Biomet & more: 15 key notes
- Zimmer Biomet & NuVasive gain strong footholds in spine space: 7 things to note
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- The low hanging fruit of HIPAA compliance: 8 best practices
- Stryker launches Aero-C spinal fusion implant: 5 key notes
- Zimmer Biomet to acquire LDR in $1B transaction — 9 things to know
- The great PA debate: Should spine surgeons hire them?
- Surgeon entrepreneur: Dr. Kern Singh's quest to make lateral spine surgery more accessible
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 87% of solo practitioners to face MIPS penalty in 2019 — 6 statistics on how Medicare's new payment model may impact solo physicians & small practices
- MIS spine's promising future — Key insights from SMISS President Dr. Greg Anderson
- How Responsive Orthopedics defied the industry norm to make knee, hip devices more affordable — 6 key insights
- Paradigm Spine pays $585k in False Claims Act settlement; denies allegations: 5 things to know
- Bundled payments to account for 30%-45% of spine reimbursement in 3 years: 4 insights
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- More than half of hospital orthopedic programs unprepared for CMS joint replacement program: 7 takeaways