The group's data revealed that the rate of 510(k) submissions cleared within three months improved to 42 percent in 2011 from 40 percent in 2010. Average review times also fell to 138 days in 2011 from 146 days in 2010.
Most Class II, as well as some Class I and III medical devices, must receive FDA 510(k) premarket notification prior to being sold commercially in the U.S. Half of the devices submitted for clearance in 2011 were orthopedic, cardiovascular, general and plastic surgery or radiology-related.
More Articles on Devices:
Spine Surgery Coverage for New Technology Post Healthcare Reform: Q&A With Dr. Gunnar Andersson of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush
Smith & Nephew Names Dr. Michael Friedman to Board of Directors
ulrich medical Markets Spinal Fixation System in US
FDA 510(k) Clearance Times Improved in 2011 FeaturedWritten by Heather Linder | Friday, 22 February 2013 16:40
Data analysis from the Emergo Group showed FDA's 510(k) medical device premarket notification review times improved in 2011, according to Today's Medical Developments.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Devices & Implants
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Medtronic deepens investment in robotics with $20M, 15-system order of Mazor X — Will it pay off? 6 things to know
- Medtech sells 13 ROSA robots in Q4 2016 — 5 highlights
- Medtronic, DePuy Synthes & Stryker lead the global spinal trauma devices market: 10 key trends
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Medtronic, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes, Smith & Nephew: Who had the best 2015? 32 things to know
- Justice Department investigates pain compounding cream for $500M potential fraud: 5 things to know
- Physician receives second-degree murder sentence for overprescribing pain medication: 6 key points
- 22 spine surgeon leadership awards | 2016
- Has Xenco Medical Ushered in the Future of Spine Surgery?
- 10 spine, neurosurgeons on the move in January 2016
- 5 things to know about wearable technology in medicine
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, J&J & more: 26 key notes — AAOS edition
- Dr. James Andrews #5 among richest doctors in the world: 6 points
- Stryker, Titan Spine, ConforMIS & more: 16 key notes
- 5 ways big data will affect healthcare providers in 2016 & beyond
- Surgical tech sues Yale-New Haven Hospital surgeon after OR altercation — 5 key notes
- Bundled payments, consolidation & more: How OrthoVirginia is building a future-facing empire
- Beyond the device: How DePuy Synthes is innovating in orthopedic & spine technology
- Orthopedic surgeons generate $2.7M for affiliated hospitals; 5.5 times what they make — 5 survey findings
- CJR bundles to pay $25k per episode: 8 statistics on cost breakdown
- The best way to prepare for the future in spine: Dr. Hyun Bae
- Top 10 highest-earning physician specialties — Orthopedics leads for 6th consecutive year
- 15 statistics on orthopedic surgeon starting salaries
- Dr. Kevin Pauza unsurprised with Tiger Woods' slow back surgery recovery: 5 insights
- The entrepreneur mindset: How an MBA opened doors for one spine surgeon's practice
- 13 statistics on neurosurgeon salary in 2016
- The growth of outpatient spine — 9 Key Points
- PODs under attack again: 5 key notes from the Senate Finance Committee's report
- 6 statistics on orthopedic surgeon compensation — Which practice setting pays most?
- Novel technologies make a splash in outpatient spine setting — Dr. Nick Shamie weighs in
- Top 5 EHR vendors to partner with in 2016
- Where global spine market leaders are headed: 7 key notes on Medtronic, DePuy Synthes, Stryker & more
- Should medical device companies advertise direct to consumers?
- CMS's lowest vs. highest-paid physicians: 5 key points
- 5 trends in complex spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons leave Salina Regional over on-call payment dispute: 5 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Andrews Institute adds regenerative medicine, stem cell center: 5 things to know
- Siemens, Ziehm, GE, Hologic, OrthoScan & Medtronic: 26 O-arm & C-arm systems
- ISSCR updates stem cell research guidelines; warns against stem cell medical tourism — 5 insights
- Which 4 emerging trends will drive the global spine surgery market?
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics