However, the company reported a charge of $133 million related to the voluntary recall of the company's Rejuvenate and ABG II modular-neck hip stems. Full year net earnings were also impacted by acquisition and integration related charges of $9 million and $37 million, respectively. Diluted net earnings per share decreased 32.1 percent and 1.7 percent in the fourth quarter and full year over the prior year, respectively.
Net sales in the United States grew 8.7 percent while international net sales were flat in the fourth quarter. Full year net sales climbed 7.8 percent in the United States, but dropped 1.3 percent internationally.
During the fourth quarter, the company's hip and knee sales grew 3.6 percent and 5.4 percent respectively, leading the company's total reconstructive business to grow 6.4 percent. The spine and neurotechnology business grew 9.7 percent, led by a 12.3 percent growth in the United States.
The year's end report showed stagnant hip sales over 2011 and knee sales only growing 3 percent. Spine and neurotechnology sales grew 9.2 percent in 2012.
More Articles on Orthopedic Device:
Implant Device Market to Reach $73.9B Value in 2018
6 Potential Effects of the Medical Device Tax on Orthopedics Companies
Zimmer Introduces Its 1st Lateral Plate System for Spinal Trauma
Stryker Reports 4.2% Net Sales Growth in 2012, Hampered by $133M in Recall Charges FeaturedWritten by Laura Dyrda | Friday, 25 January 2013 15:19
Stryker reported 5.5 percent net sales growth during the fourth quarter of 2012 to $2.3 billion and 4.2 percent full year net sales growth to $8.7 billion.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Devices & Implants
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Understanding the Impact of the CMS 2017 ASC Payment Rule on Spine Procedures
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- 15 spine surgeons discuss techniques revolutionizing spine care
- 33 of the largest orthopedic groups in the US by number of physicians
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 4 of the most pressing challenges orthopedic surgeons face in 2017
- What not to wear — Physician's attire elicits mixed responses in outpatient orthopedic centers
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spine surgery on Patriots' Rob Gronkowski
- Behind bars for fraud: Neurosurgeon Dr. Aria Sabit receives nearly 20-year prison sentence — 8 key insights
- Orthopedic residency programs violate Match Code of Conduct: 6 things to know
- 6 spine physicians ranked #1 on Google - 2016
- The science of healthcare delivery: 10 thoughts on the future structure of healthcare organizations
- 8 biggest stories in 2016's spine market — Acquisitions, lawsuits, bundled payments & more
- Wal-Mart adds Mayo Clinic to spine centers of excellence, 50% copay for out-of-network care
- 7 trends in healthcare digital transformation
- Dr. Robert Watkins performs spinal disc surgery on Houston Texans' J.J. Watt: 4 notes
- Dr. Angus McBryde Jr. passes away after car accident: 4 things to know
- Dr. Robert Spetzler to resign as Barrow Neurological Institute's president, CEO; Dr. Michael Lawton to take helm — 5 things to know
- 9 Mayo Clinic strategies to quench the physician burnout flame
- 36 woman physician leaders to know
- 4 spine surgeons caught in fraud — Prisoners, probationers & a fugitive
- 26 latest statistics & notes on neurosurgeon salary — Hourly, annual & regional pay
- Guilty verdict for neurosurgeon Dr. Christopher Duntsch for causing 'injury to an elderly person' — 5 things to know
- Seattle Times examines Swedish-Cherry Hill's neuroscience program balance of volume & quality
- Rochester Regional Health in NY acquires Finger Lakes Bone & Joint Center: 5 key notes
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield now covers 2-Level disc replacement with Zimmer Biomet's Mobi-C
- A review of 7 spine device company powerhouses in 2016
- Why the direct anterior approach for THA is the future
- Best & worst patient outcomes — Patients may now compare US surgeons by name
- Spine care in 2017: 4 spine surgeons make predictions
- Google Glass, GoPro or Panasonic HX-A100: Which is best during spine surgery? 5 key notes
- Five trends that every orthopedic professional should watch in 2017
- Swedish-Cherry Hill neuroscience chair Dr. Johnny Delashaw steps down amid investigation — 5 things to know
- What Stryker CEO Kevin Lobo said on CNBC: 7 key quotes on healthcare, business & the future
- Medtronic plans to sell medical supplies unit, Bloomberg reports: 6 key insights