The company reported a decrease in net debt during the third quarter due to an increase in cash flow and equivalents. Biomet reported growth in the large joint reconstructive business, including 4 percent growth in knees and 6 percent growth in hips. Total net sales for the large joint reconstructive business were $422.7 million.
Sports medicine sales jumped 16 percent to $92.7 million while the company's trauma business only grew 1 percent in the third quarter. Biomet recently made an offer on DePuy Orthopaedics' trauma business, which Johnson & Johnson must sell before completing the acquisition of Synthes. Biomet President and CEO Jeffrey Binder said the company is excited about future opportunities in the trauma market, pending completion of the acquisition.
Despite the positive sports medicine and joint replacement growth, Biomet's spine and bone healing business took a hit. The overall business line sales dropped 5 percent to $76.5 million, while just spine products dropped 3 percent.
More Articles on Orthopedic Devices:
Life Spine Reports 37.9% Q1 Growth
39 Orthopedic & Spine Devices Receive FDA 510(k) Clearance in March
Wright Medical Group Launches CLAW II for Foot & Ankle Surgery
Biomet Net Sales Jump 5% in 3Q, DePuy Trauma Acquisition LoomsWritten by Laura Dyrda | Wednesday, 11 April 2012 15:49
Biomet reported a 5 percent net sales increase during the third quarter of the 2012 fiscal year, to $709 million worldwide. The company also reported a net sales loss of $16.5 million, which is about $5 million more than the same period last year.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies here.
Most Read - Devices & Implants
- Zimmer Biomet, Stryker, Wright Medical Group & more: 12 key notes
- Medtronic, Xtant Medical, Titan Spine & more: 13 key notes
- Medtronic finds its place in orthopedic market with knee-implant service: 5 observations
- Zimmer Biomet, Amendia & more — 3 recent device company acquisitions & partnerships
- 7 new spine, orthopedic device launches & releases — Nov. 23, 2016
Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months
- 20 new MIS spine devices in 2016
- 44 MIS spine devices to know | 2016
- 21 smart spine surgeons with gifted business minds
- Top 12 most-liked spine surgeons on the internet
- Police investigate death of American Spine Center's physician accused in federal kickback scheme: 6 things to know
- Consumer Reports: 34 top-rated US hospitals for hip replacements
- Suicide likely cause of Dr. Sandeep Sherlekar's death, police report shows: 6 things to know
- Dr. George Rappard performs 1st US MIS procedure with Sony heads-up display: 5 observations
- Annual & hourly orthopedic surgeon salary — 10 latest statistics
- Trusting a robot — Dr. Juan Torres-Reveron on performing 1st US ROSA Spine surgery
- 12 statistics on social media's presence in the healthcare space
- 5 key notes on the Zimmer Biomet-LDR acquisition & its impact on Texas
- 38 female spine surgeon leaders to know
- Dr. Gregory Sherr sues HealthEast, CentraCare & 6 neurosurgeons for allegedly ruining his reputation & career — 6 things to know
- Oregon spine surgeon implicated in $22M lawsuit for paralyzing patient with dropped instrument: 5 things to know
- UPMC to pay $2.5M+ to settle neurosurgery-related False Claims Act violation allegations: 7 things to know
- US News & World Report: Top 10 hospitals for orthopedics
- 4 North Carolina orthopedic practices merge to create EmergeOrtho: 5 key notes
- 7 things to know about Mazor Robotics & Medtronic's plans to roll out Mazor X
- The state of minimally invasive spine surgery: Dr. Frank Phillips on devices, payment & outpatient ASCs
- 11 highest-paying states for orthopedic surgeons: New Jersey tops the list at $494.5k
- Beyond the implant — DePuy Synthes pushes innovation inside & out of the OR
- Zimmer Biomet jumps into robotics with MedTech acquisition: 5 things to know
- Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Russin dies following plane crash: 5 key notes
- 34 latest trends in the global orthopedic devices market
- 21 statistics and facts for orthopedic surgeons — compensation, net worth and more
- 19 more things to know about orthopedic bundled payments — September 2016
- Are Stryker's hip implants about to be recalled?
- Trump or Hillary? The physicians have voted
- FDA regulation, insurance coverage: Dr. Raj N. Sureja talks challenges in regenerative medicine
- Do you know what patients really care about when choosing a spine surgeon?
- 13 facts and statistics on Baby Boomers for spine surgeons to know
- 5 trends for orthopedic surgeons to watch in 2017
- 3 orthopedic clinics to pay $2.39M to settle False Claims Act allegations: 5 things to know
- 10 thoughts and statistics on medical malpractice claims against orthopedists
- Evolutionary vs. revolutionary: The future of surgical devices and spine surgery
- Robotics is here to stay — Drs. Kornelis Poelstra & Dennis Devito on working with Mazor technology
- UCLA pays $8.5M to settle 2 lawsuits after undisclosed spine surgeon relationship with Medtronic: 5 key notes
- Medtronic, SeaSpine, Zimmer Biomet & more: 17 key notes
- The efficacy of electrical bone stimulators & ultrasound for bone healing — Dr. Mohit Bhandari weighs in with new evidence